Learning To Work With Smaller Knives: a small hunting knife review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well…while I have to admit (as some of you may have already noticed) that I am much more used to carrying and using larger knives and not carrying a hatchet or axe in my travels through the woods, I have been enlightened a good deal by the U.K. approach to field craft…”Bushcraft”. I have been inspired to work more with smaller knives and learn how to do more with them as this too falls in line with my “carry less” philosophy of wilderness travel as I never know what I will be wanting to bring back out with me.

In this endeavor I acquired a small Smith & Wesson hunting knife combo set model number SWMCOM2 (with the SWMCOM1 being the same set except the skinning knife also has a gut hook on it) that consists of a small recurved hunting knife, and a short but broader bladed skinning knife. These are both full tang knives with comfortable micarta handles, and they both offer a very positive grip.

Smith&

CopyofCombo.jpg

and the sheath seems well made, is nice and compact, and works really well at holding both kives in place. There is a form fitting hard liner built into the skinning knife sheath that holds the knife in place snuggly and keeps the blade from cutting thruogh.

Insheath-1.jpg

InSheath-3.jpg

The first thing I did was skin the bark off of some branches I am making a grill out of, and whittle a little bit. The recurved hunting knife has a very sharp edge and is actually a pleasure to work with being somewhat less tiring than performing these same tasks with a larger knife.

SkinningBark.jpg

Sharpedge.jpg

Next I decided to see how it was to work with in the task of making small cooking utensils. I started with a green branch and whittled out a small fork for turning meat on a grill. The size and shape of the knife does lend it’s self to this task quite well, making quick work of the job.

Beginningofaturningfork.jpg

Turningfork.jpg

Next I tried it at cutting so I dug up some wild onions (using a digging stick this time) and it handled that small chore very well.

Cuttingupwildonions.jpg

It also was great to work with in fire starting prep. I used it to make some fatwood shavings for starting a fire with fire steel, and it handled that task just fine as well.

Fatwoodshavings.jpg

This knife is sold individually as well but I like having the combo…even though the main game I skin are rabbits and squirrels that can be skinned with nothing more than a sharp rock if needs be I like the idea of having to serviceable blades in such a small package. I haven’t had a chance to try out the skinning knife in it’s intended role but it does come shaving sharp, and does feel very good in the hand. Definitely looks and feels the part for it’s intended role. I think this is going to be a very useful addition to my kits, and it is great getting the opportunity to go about field craft with added knowledge gained from seeing it from a different perspective. I know I have more to learn about working with smaller knives, and I do look forward to the learning process.

Yes that's my arm hair on the edge...sorry, I've been in the woods all day and am a little sweaty in the nearly 80F temps here today

Shaves.jpg

Goodgripandcontrol.jpg

I can't believe I forgot to post pics of the sheath (I've now edited them into the original post as well), especially since I really do like it. It seems well thought out. It seems sewn together well. and the retainer strap for the hunting knife actually holds the skinning blade in place as well. The skinning knife part of the sheath has a hard form fitting liner that holds the knife in position as well as keeping the sharp blade from cutting through the sheath.

Insheath-1.jpg

InSheath-2.jpg

InSheath-3.jpg

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
From my own opinion it looks more sensible than most US style knives (very much personal opinion here, about a pallet load of salt is adviced).

What I look for in a bush knife is:

* Blade 3-5", 2-4 mm thick at the back
* No guard on the handle, possibly a small finger grove
* Flat "scandi" grind
* Comfortable to work with; no sharp corners against my fingers, strange groves, etc.

This gives you a knife that is handy, that works for most things. One mod I do on almost all of them is to chamfer the corners on the back with a coarse stone until they will not hurt my hand if I hold the knife by the blade (e.g. for fine work with the point). Except for about 2 cm closest to the handle, where it must have enough "edge" to work a ferrocerium stick; you don't want to have to ruin the edge doing that.

From my own opinion it looks more sensible than most US style knives (very much personal opinion here, about a pallet load of salt is adviced).

What I look for in a bush knife is:

* Blade 3-5", 2-4 mm thick at the back
* No guard on the handle, possibly a small finger grove
* Flat "scandi" grind
* Comfortable to work with; no sharp corners against my fingers, strange groves, etc.

This gives you a knife that is handy, that works for most things. One mod I do on almost all of them is to chamfer the corners on the back with a coarse stone until they will not hurt my hand if I hold the knife by the blade (e.g. for fine work with the point). Except for about 2 cm closest to the handle, where it must have enough "edge" to work a ferrocerium stick; you don't want to have to ruin the edge doing that.

Thanks for the input. I'm seriously considering a RAT cutlery RC4, RC5, or maybe even an RC6 which all have most of the features you just mentioned.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Hi Bry I just had a custom bushcraft knife made I will let you know how it turns out. I am going out for a week with just this knife and a small axe. ( and yes I may go crazy with out my Randall) No pocket knife just the bushcraft axe and my Colt .45 of course can't go completely necked don't you know. If I survive I will let you know it went

Hi Bry I just had a custom bushcraft knife made I will let you know how it turns out. I am going out for a week with just this knife and a small axe. ( and yes I may go crazy with out my Randall) No pocket knife just the bushcraft axe and my Colt .45 of course can't go completely necked don't you know. If I survive I will let you know it went

Cool, looking forward to eat. Too bad you're not taking a camera.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Well it rained out my trip but I will go when it quits
I can take my camera but it is a 35mm Leica
need to get a digitel one I can email you the pic,s if you want to post them.
I am just an old pilot not a puter wize.

One of the other things I have been looking at for use in the urban studies I am doing is the tools I carry on my outings into the community. I am used to carrying medium to large fixed blades but for this that in not practical, and I have been working with some smaller blades lately. So here are a couple of the ones I have been checking out. I first looked at a smaller hunting knife I have, which will be fine for certain times and areas, it is small enough to be unobtrusive depending on where I am. It's relatively small and in a dark sheath so not too easily noticeable.

HuntingKnife.jpg

HuntingKnife-1.jpg

But then a friend of mine sent me one a little smaller, and more easily tucked away on the body. This is a TOPS Mini CQT, and the sheath is primarily designed to be a neck-er I believe. It sure is one stout little knife and he put an awesome edge on it first. So this one will definitely be traveling with me.

IMG_1828.jpg

TOPSCQT.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

However, just as a thought, if it comes to forced urban bushcraft techniques it has occurred to me that a common kitchen paring knife can serve the purpose if needs be.

KitchenKnife.jpg

KitchenKnife-3.jpg

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
Glad to see someone else has come to like smaller fixed blade knives. I have a Case model that is now 45 years old and I got it new, with a 2.5 inch upswept blade much like a "bird and trout" blade, that I don't carry anymore but still get out and clean and sharpen once and a while. I carry a "Woodswalker" from AG Russell. Introduced in 1974 it has a 2.75 inch blade and a flat backpocket sheath (a neck sheath is also available). This knife was reviewed in Mother Earth News a few years ago. If I had only one knife, of the ones I already own, this would be it. If choice was unlimited, I would still consider it. Take a look at Russell's website. By the way it cost's about $10.00 US dollars then pick the sheath style.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Mistwalker, I just finished putting the scales on an EnZo trapper. I bought the blade from Ben's Backwoods, off the internet. Others had recommended him. Got good service and bought my sheath off of him as well. A bushcraft type sheath made to hold the Swedish Army firesteel. The sheath was first class by the way.

I bought the O1 toolsteel version, (most everyone's recommendation). It has a Scandi grind. I have had a lot of knives in my time and I got quite a few now. This knife is my absolute favorite. It will be my main carry knife unless I'm going out in bad weather or know that I'll be doing some really rough work, then I'll take my Mora Clipper. I put the arctic birch handles on and they are beautiful.

Check out Ben's backwoods, website. He doesn't have a lot of stuff, but he is big in the EnZo area.

My only problem has been, that we have got the same rains that Traderran mentioned spoiling his trip. I haven't been able to get out and take it for a test drive, other than in the backyard.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Greetings Mistwalker, thank you for your posts, I really do appreciate em'. Would like to know when you post anything on urban bushcraft, it is surely becoming more relevent from my perspective.

I just picked up a production version(CRKT) of an Alan Folt's Minimalist. I have not put it thru it's paces yet, and I'm not really a 'knife guy' but so far I like it alot. Wish I could send you one, to give a more qualified review(than myself). I do think it might be worth looking at for urban bushcraft or for folks that want a 'tiny' knife as opposed to a 'small' one. Or a back-up.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/?id=6155

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CR2385

Best Wishes,
B4

Greetings Mistwalker, thank you for your posts, I really do appreciate em'. Would like to know when you post anything on urban bushcraft, it is surely becoming more relevent from my perspective.

I just picked up a production version(CRKT) of an Alan Folt's Minimalist. I have not put it thru it's paces yet, and I'm not really a 'knife guy' but so far I like it alot. Wish I could send you one, to give a more qualified review(than myself). I do think it might be worth looking at for urban bushcraft or for folks that want a 'tiny' knife as opposed to a 'small' one. Or a back-up.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/?id=6155

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CR2385

Best Wishes,
B4

Thanks, I like the looks of that. So...did you get yours from one of these places? I ask this because of a recent bad experience with thebladeshop.com . They took my money for a knife that they didn't have, said it was back ordered but the knife is out of production. Three months later I ask for my money back and they said sure and canceled my order...said I'd have the money credited back to my can within ten business days. It's been thrice that and still nothing but apologies for the delay.

I'll be posting some of the pictures I've taken in the studies I've been doing in the urban thread I started. But I figure some are of little interest here. Some of the pictures I have been out taking are examples of the socioeconomic effects of the recession on this region. In watching the "street" people and gangs I have caught enough drug dealings on film to clearly see that the drug trade in this town doesn't seem to be dealing with a declining market just yet. Likely due to the fact that most addicts steal to supply their habit and the effects haven't trickled down to the point that they have "lost" their jobs yet...still plenty here to be stolen I suppose.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Thanks, I like the looks of that. So...did you get yours from one of these places?

I did, the second link. I had to talk to a real person first and it was hard for me to order 'sight unseen', but worked out fine. I agree many aspects of urban bushcraft would be not be apropriate for this site. If sometime you have outside links for this project please pass them on.

I did, the second link. I had to talk to a real person first and it was hard for me to order 'sight unseen', but worked out fine. I agree many aspects of urban bushcraft would be not be apropriate for this site. If sometime you have outside links for this project please pass them on.

Already did, I placed a link in that "urban bushcraft ?" thread I posted.

Would just like to say that the above mentioned story does have a happy ending, I just saw where thebladeshop.com did return the credit to my card. So at least there is that.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Mistwaker, I could be wrong but I have been under the impression for some years that here in the U.S. it is against federal laws to deduct money from a credit card account until the item ordered ships.

Mistwaker, I could be wrong but I have been under the impression for some years that here in the U.S. it is against federal laws to deduct money from a credit card account until the item ordered ships.

I thought so too, and mentioned that in the email when I requested my money back. I'm still not sure if it is or isn't but at least I got it back.

Hi Mistwalker -
I tried that link a while back and just got an error message - something about 'not authorized' IIRC. Has that been corrected ?

In order to view posts there you have to at least get the free "basic" membership. I have been a member there for nearly two years with no trouble it...other than as I stated a couple of people that could use a lesson in manors. The section I post in is "populated" by some good people. I tell ya what. I have also put in on another site but there is less discussion there...much smaller membership...but they do not require a membership. I'll post a link to it there as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE