Learning how to do nålbindning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
So I'm doing a course in nålbindning, because I find it intriguing but a bit too confusing to learn much more than the basics on my own.

The first project was a pouch to practise various techniques on in preparation for making a pair of mittens.

I bring you my new 1L thermos flask cosy (it became a bit longer than planned...) :laugh:
IMG_20200315_214601469.jpg

Close up on the stitch and needle:
IMG_20200304_232529074.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good for you :)
I run out of patience for it, bit like tatting, tbh. I have masses of patience for most handcrafts, especially textile ones, but these two wear me down.
Fiona (Xylaria) used to do a fair bit of nålbindning, and I think Wayland's missus does too.
Have you had a go at Sprang ?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I run out of patience for it, bit like tatting, tbh. I have masses of patience for most handcrafts, especially textile ones, but these two wear me down.
Fiona (Xylaria) used to do a fair bit of nålbindning, and I think Wayland's missus does too.
Actually, once I got going it really speed up, but I know what you mean. I'm hoping that I'll get hang of it enough to be able to use it for some handspun yarn. And it's pretty cool that you can cut it without it unravelling!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
And
no I haven't tried sprang yet but it does look fun too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the reason I find it wearing is that I know I can make the same item very much more quickly using other methods. I reckon that it was developed to use up the thrums cut off from the finished cloth when it was taken from the loom. Waste not, want not, kind of thing.
Being able to cut it anywhere sounds excellent, then we remember that we simply need to felt wool anyway and it can be cut anywhere without fraying.

I'm sorry, I'm raining on your parade, and that's not fair. It is a skill, it is a handcraft that makes very useful garments. Socks and the like are often under-rated bits of kit, until you don't have them or you only have unsuitable/uncomfortable ones.

Have you played around with different stitches too ?

Sprang's fun, and it's easy to do when out and about. Two branches growing (or bendable) in a parallel pair and there's your 'loom'.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Ok, anybody explain what it actually is, other than knitting :confused: !?
It's actually very much NOT like knitting, and more like sewing. :) Both knitting and crochet use a tool/tools to make loops on a continuous piece of string and then build a fabric by interlocking those loops. If you pull on the working yarn end, the fabric will unravel.
In needle binding, you take a shorter piece of yarn, you make a loop around your thumb and then use a needle to pull the end of the yarn through the loop in a certain way. You catch the yarn on your thumb to make a new loop and drop the old one. The yarn weaves in and out of the loops and so if you pull on it it won't unravel (just pull tight and turn into a mess).

Nålbindning (Swedish term for it) is much older than knitting or crochet and have been found in cultures all over the world, but the revival seems to draw a lot on Scandinavian traditions and therefore using one of the Scandinavian language terms is common.

It makes for excellent mittens and thick socks so perfect for cold climates.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm sorry, I'm raining on your parade, and that's not fair. It is a skill, it is a handcraft that makes very useful garments. Socks and the like are often under-rated bits of kit, until you don't have them or you only have unsuitable/uncomfortable ones.

Have you played around with different stitches too ?
Not at all! I'm interested in it from a traditional Swedish crafts point of view and because I thought it would make for nice fulled mittens. Plus it's nice to change things up, like when one weekend of crocheting resulted in 2 weeks of joint pain...

I don't really like the look of the fabric in its natural state, but maybe if I find the right stitch. I joined the course to learn a bit more about it because the written down instructions are impenetrable to me at the moment. I've tried 4 stitches so far and aw starting to me able to read my work a bit better.

I actually rediscovered nålbindning when reading about twined/ two-end knitting, which used to be very common in parts of Sweden. That's also quite slow but makes for a warmer fabric and you can make some amazing textural patterns.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough I've been playing around with Tunisian crochet recently, and it too makes a much firmer and warmer piece, and in such a wide range of patterns too.

I used to do a lot of natural dyeing and spinning, and I have two huge crate loads of wool just sitting needing used. I'm trying to get some enthusiasm going to start making inroads into it.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Funnily enough I've been playing around with Tunisian crochet recently, and it too makes a much firmer and warmer piece, and in such a wide range of patterns too.

I used to do a lot of natural dyeing and spinning, and I have two huge crate loads of wool just sitting needing used. I'm trying to get some enthusiasm going to start making inroads into it.
Yeah, I like Tunisian crochet too! :) Just not enough hours in the day to do everything I'd like to do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1 did a video link thing tonight and suggested that since this damned virus means that all my craft groups and such like are cancelled, that I set it up myself and blether to friends that way. Then I thought about it, and kind of decided that I'd need to do an awful lot of tidying up first....sitting here just now I have knitting, beading, 00 gauge models, painting/sketching stuff, embroidery, quilting, a nearly finished (hand sewn) pair of slippers, and half a dozen books all sitting around me.
This is normal, but it looks an almighty guddle to anyone without a butterfly mind. You are so right about there not being enough hours !

M

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Son1 did a video link thing tonight and suggested that since this damned virus means that all my craft groups and such like are cancelled, that I set it up myself and blether to friends that way. Then I thought about it, and kind of decided that I'd need to do an awful lot of tidying up first....sitting here just now I have knitting, beading, 00 gauge models, painting/sketching stuff, embroidery, quilting, a nearly finished (hand sewn) pair of slippers, and half a dozen books all sitting around me.
This is normal, but it looks an almighty guddle to anyone without a butterfly mind. You are so right about there not being enough hours !

M
Have you tried knooking? I wanted to, but never got around to got myself a knooking hook and sit down and do it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I kind of think on it as a variation in the Tunisian crochet, tbh.
There are really cheap sets of hooks available on eBay just now. I bought a set last month to show how to do it with some other folks at one of my craft groups. I was impressed with my purchase.
I'll find a link.

11 hooks, around 10", delivered for £5.36

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I kind of think on it as a variation in the Tunisian crochet, tbh.
There are really cheap sets of hooks available on eBay just now. I bought a set last month to show how to do it with some other folks at one of my craft groups. I was impressed with my purchase.
I'll find a link.

11 hooks, around 10", delivered for £5.36

I meant the one where you knit with a ribbon attached to a crochet needle
f7162f875437c397d05785e15a0566fa--knooking-tutorial-youtube-com.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had to make my own one, drilled through the end of a kids plastic crochet hook. It works, but to be honest, I think it's much simpler using pins or the Tunisian hook. A lot quicker too.

That said, sometimes we just have to try things though, just to see how it works out :)

M

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Resurrecting this old thread as I finally have finished the mittens I started back in 2020.

These are done using nålbindning, an old technique that predates knitting and where the fabric is basically created by sewing intertwined loops with a large blunt needle and sections of yarn. It is much more free-form than knitting or crochet and so you need to develop a feel for it in order to be able to make anything useful.

There is definitely plenty of room for improvement with these, but they fit and are warm, so I’m still very chuffed. I had planned to full them, but they are not big enough to do that, so will just wear them and see how they turn out.

2947B757-6348-48BA-9EB4-E98081773F96.jpeg2947B757-6348-48BA-9EB4-E98081773F96.jpeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well done :)
Patience incarnate :cool:

They'll felt a bit with just wear anyway since they're pure natural wool. It helps make them more windproof.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Oh well done :)
Patience incarnate :cool:

They'll felt a bit with just wear anyway since they're pure natural wool. It helps make them more windproof.
They’ve been staring at me every time I walk into the lounge, so …. :D

I’m guessing they’ll stretch a bit with wear and then I can brush the inside if needed. The palm area will felt naturally as you say, but the back of the mitten might need a bit of help. It’s a nice and dense fabric already, but I’m basically hoping for the stretching to balance out the felting. :)

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE