Lay a little egg for me, he hopes.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well ive done nowt else since Fri eve, except a nice sun dinner and a bad football match. Had a deadline to get sorted for a delivery of three hens for this morning.

My new coop and run, the coop was provided with the hens, and the rest built by a man who now needs a camping trip to chill out. About half the materials were left over from old jobs in the past or out of skips. I'm proud of my gate, just three decking squares that I made a frame for and braced. Saved a packet there, and it fits so well. I even got the plane out to help it home.

S5001714.jpg

S5001712.jpg

All happy, watered and fed. Hopefully Mr Fox is going to kept at bay. Started to see and hear them, two weeks ago for the first time in 2 1/2 years the other week. Its like they knew :rolleyes:

S5001710.jpg

Mines called Betty :) Mrs Addo's has already popped one out, and has been gobbled up by my daughter, while still warm.

Veg plot is coming on, Ive tones of peas nearly ready. Best crop in four years and I hardly even watered or weeded, as been a tad busy.

S5001720.jpg

Cheers, Addo :)

rancid badger

Cracking job that:35:

I hope you have better luck than my brother though, a few nights back, he lost all bar one of his dozen or so, hens to a fox.
I think it dug under the chain link fencing, then ripped most of their heads off.

He lives on a country estate in Northumberland, a tenant I hasten to add;) so he contacted the lad who does the "keeping", who set himself up in a hide and waited a few hours.

He shot a couple of foxes the first night and another couple the following night!

apparently foxes are becoming a "bit of an issue" around the area:sadwavey:

Shame all round really:(

Anyway, the very best of luck with your chooks

kind regards

R.B.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers folks.
The chicken wire is sunk into a trench, then the laminate flooring to help a bit and stop the hens trying to help the fox out by pecking undone all the graft!

We'll see. The chooks came from a small holding with hardly any fox probs and allowed out loads. I've heard others that go mad with fencing and Mr Fox still has em. I'll be learning as ive wanted my own for about 12 years and finally got round to it, so i'm learning as I go. There very good natured animals and mine seems to like me, so that's a bonus.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The best defence against foxes seems to be a floppy electric fence about 3 or 4 foot high and remebering to lock your chickens in when it gets dark.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well they survived the first night, so great so far... Wheres my egg though? :)

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi Addo,

Great looking run and set up, I reckon they will love it there as it looks like a really decent space for them.

Unfortunately Mr Fox got to ours while they were free ranging in the middle of the day very recently. My advice with a whole 1 years experience is make sure they gets lots of greens and feed them all the slugs you can find, really keeps the quality of the eggs up. We grew greens especially for them during the winter, its amazing how much they can eat. I would also put some things of interest for them to hanging cds, purches and stuff like that to keep them busy.

It looks like you are very prepared for them though, but if you have any questions or anything you're not sure of feel free to pop me a pm. I will help if I can.

Steve

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for the advice Steve. Ive just sampled the first of my peas so gave the pods to the chickens and they gobbled them up.
I'll put some winter greens into the bed then for some extra feed, and theres plenty of slugs in the garden to give em:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE