laws around reservoirs

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Whilst google mapping for a new camping spot I noticed that there is a large reservoir not to far from where I'm staying. I went to check it out the other night, I walked through the woods that border it and eventually came to a very nice secluded beach that would he absolutely bliss to camp on with a couple of mates. First of all it is unlikely that anyone will see us, we probably won't have a fire except maybe a hobbo for getting a brew on. Do you think we will be alright to go head and do it?

Thanks

p.s- I live in England, I know the laws are all different down here

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Dunno about the law but I reckon a beach fire wouldn't cause any damage and would be easily cleared up.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Ive just posted a planning thread above yours which is at a reservoir. Its water board land so no farmers to **** off but maybe the odd warden looking for illegal fishing.. either way if you dont damage anything should be ok if you get stumbled across

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its still illegal camping, using land you have no right to use.

A major problem with posting openly like you have is that some 'lurkers' on the site could end up going there and making a right mess, this has happened before.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Its still illegal camping, using land you have no right to use.

A major problem with posting openly like you have is that some 'lurkers' on the site could end up going there and making a right mess, this has happened before.

Yep can imagine that to be true... shame really!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Trouble about reservoirs is going to the loo.
I delivered to the Ardingly reservoir when it was being built, it was stipulated that you had to use the portaloo for a pee.

EdS

no only is it illegal camping but there are a whole host of legislation relating to reservoirs - the Water Undertakes have the power to set byelaws as well.

Start with Water Industry Act 1991 Pary VI Chapter 1 section 157

each reservoir has its own laws etc as well as the general onces cover access to private land.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Find out who owns it and ask?

They can only say no.

That way someone does find you, and you can produce a letter giving permission.

Oh, and then tell no one were it is. It normally only takes one muppet.

Also if you see a problem tell them about it, and if possible fix it. Always pays to be a good guest.

As far as I know a lot of reserviors are used by groups for water sports so would think they would be ok to deal with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE