Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is better for bushcraft?

• A traditional canvas lavvu with wooden poles

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • A modern lavvu made of light material and a single metal pole

Votes: 66 68.8%

• Total voters

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dave, if I may....
I have a Bisontelt Tundra 8 the same as SW.
The supplied groundsheet is a very simple disk of waterproof material with no means of attaching it to the tent - it is adequate, but only just.
My prefered groundsheet is a large polytarp from a builders merchant, 7m square from memory. I cut a "T" shape cut from one edge to the centre - so that when I have the stove going, I can fold the sides of the "T" back, leaving a bare earth walkway upto and around the stove itself. The larger size also allows bunching of the spare material at the sides of the tent creating a better draught seal and preventing water ingress under the sides.

HTH

Ogri the trog

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for your reply Ogri.

I thought it looked a tad large to be the 4m one! [The one I have]

I have used a round builders tarp in the past, which was ok.

But Ive been toying with the idea of having a better one made, similiar to the tentipi ones.

[but in a hendecagon.]
To fit the 11 panels. Slightly oversized as you suggest, to 'bunch up, and stop water ingress. maybe adding some grommets, and using internal round topped groundsheet pegs] Or even using another method, to attach the groundsheet, like 'iron on velcro'. To create a bit of a bathtub.

images

I was thinking of using Waterproof Proof fabric PU (7 Oz Heavy weight) or 15oz weight for the groundsheet.

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=177

Alternatively this company can make one, to the exact requirements. The material they have suggested is a more 'rubberised material'

http://www.canvasrepaircentre.co.uk/gallery.php?catid=5

They can also add a T shape, and even add 2 waterproof zips to make the T.

I havent decided yet. But I think It might be worth doing.

So what are the black internal straps and buckles, on the inside of the tent at the base for?

They are not there to tension the lavvu....

Last edited:

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
These things look immense. I'm a few years off really needing one (don't mind roughing it at the mo, and haven't got a car to lug a big one around in in any case) but the idea of putting a wood stove in there for extreme cold really appeals, as does the idea of an old school canvas tent which you can actually stand in (always seem to get condensation on the sides of a regular waterproof-fabric tent, which in a smallish portable 2 or 1 manner always seems to get me, my dossbag and my kit wet too, and theres often not room for anything more than sitting up inside one either, which can really suck when you have to get changed outside in the rain). Obviously not a thing you can stuff in your own rucksack for a few days in the mountains given the above picture, but would be just the thing with a group of you or with a wagon. Someone remind me to come back to this thread in a couple of years and get me one of these!

I can see how these things would be just the business in a v cold wintery sort of place where you need it to last and you have wood on hand, hence why the Saami use them I guess.

One question tho, if you intend to use a lavvu in a place where there are not so many trees to be burnt, does it matter if you don't have the stove in there? Or do you mount it even if you don't intend to use it? Just thinking as without a chimney there might be something of a hole in the middle of your tent letting any heat out and the wet in... I know there is the option to buy wood and take it with you if you're going to a woodless land but thats not really a long term sort of solution in the same way as being able to chop some of your own is...

Last edited:

stevemedlock

Nov 30, 2009
Tenterden, Kent
Dave, I'd be very interested how your groundsheet works out if you go ahead with it. I used my Tundra for the first time the weekend before last and draughts were a big problem. I would advise against anyone buying the standard groundsheet as its very hard to get it central under the pole and it just bunches up all over the floor.

The biggest problem though was the leaks and drips during heavy rain. There seemed to be areas of canvas without proofing in the shape of guylines, looking like the proofing had been sprayed on with the lines in the way. It also leaked where anything touched the outside - even the loose ends of the lines to the cap. After years of camping in a cotton canvas tent and never getting wet, I was quite disappointed by this.

Steve.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hmm stillwaters thats a nice lavvo i have been looking at a tentipi (very expensive) do you know if there is a UK stockist of it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE