Lavvu Room Divider?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
Hi

I'd love a lavvu/Nordic tipi but am not quite sure how much of a family tent one would be. My daughter is 3 and I'm worried that if we're all in one living/sleeping area once she goes to bed we'll all have to go to bed or creep about like mice.

Does anyone have any experience of lavvu's with younger families or has anyone ever heard of a sub-divider so we could sit up in one half and she could sleep in a separate compartment?

She's been camping since 6months if you were wondering.

Thanks!

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
if you have a real big lavvu maybe you could use a ponch peged and tied up inside to form a smaller lavvu inside your lavvu for her useing the main lavvu as the back wall of the smaller one if you can understand what i mean.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My youngest was 5 months old when we started taking her camping in our Lavvu.
No thoughts of dividers or much of creeping about so she stayed asleep. A few carefully placed items to keep her face in shadow and a little quiet while she actually fell asleep was all that was called for - after a few days she'd be tired enough to sleep through anything anyway.

It makes lots of sense to plan the evening to avoid multiple visits with the potential to disturb the infant - it might also be prudent for each parent to be ready to offer comfort if it is required - but thats hardly enough reason not to take them along!

The native Americans used a divider called an "ozan" if I remember it correctly, but with a number of families to each tipi.

ATB

Ogri the trog

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Even if you could put a divider in it (and I'm sure you could with the bigger ones), I'm not sure how effective a thin sheet of polyester/cotton/canvass is going to be at silencing any noise...

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
You could make a "rakkas" (or buy it). Picture below.

rakkas_2_x.jpg

A rakkas is a "A framed tent without a bottom" made from thin cloth used as a separate sleeping room in a lavvu (or tipi).
This is the saami way of getting a little privacy and extra warmth in winter.

Tor

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
now I think about it though, you could probably just buya spare aluminium tent pole and spend a little while sewing an old white sheet up to get something more specific to your tipi.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
get one of these

ICC5.jpg

dual purpose, you can cook with it and when youve finished it serves as a sound proofing device when you gently place it over the sleeping child.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I don't think I'd use a Tipi tent with a young child, sometimes mom and dad need privacy offered more by a bigger tent with separate rooms.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
We have a tentipi , part of the fun of camping in it with the kids (girls 15 and 12) is that we all share the whole trip together.
It is very different to sleeping in the house so why make it the same with seperate rooms .

Craig.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE