Lavvu, joined the club!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Make a sandbox on the same ground plan with bench in roll mat size! Like this you can put wooden walls under it, gain height and room.

You are too old to play in the teepee alone anyway...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Oh No Oh No Oh No......... hammocks still rule but rules say I can not hammock.
{ no complaint lockdown is keeping me alive }

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Finally bit the bullet and got me a Lavvu and tent stove. Will be able to sit out and drink tea whenever I fancy.
View attachment 64135
I’ve often thought about a small stove tent for my size 2 lavvu, but with the sleeping gear, rucksack, food & wood in there..surly it must get stuffy.
There that small, you have to go outside to change your mind
Would be interesting to know 1st hand?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I’ve often thought about a small stove tent for my size 2 lavvu, but with the sleeping gear, rucksack, food & wood in there..surly it must get stuffy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_113536.jpg
    IMG_20200307_113536.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 89548685_10158257329695762_6295711273208250368_o.jpg
    89548685_10158257329695762_6295711273208250368_o.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Erbswurst

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Ok guys, looking for an honest opinion. I’ve a size 2 lavvu & I’m looking at a Winnerwell nomad stove, mainly down to cost,size & weight.
I will also be using it for canoe camping.
I’m not sure wether to go for the small or medium?
I don’t want to be constantly feeding it.
The nomad view looks appealing, but that glass on the side, do you think there’s a good chance it may crack or get broken?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Henchy3rd,
With my very little lavvu experience I found my stove took up a lot of space. I understand that a small stove needs a lot of feeding but mine heats up the lavvu in very quick time.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Although there are no side walls?
About which temperatures do you talk here, please?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
See "Simon a bloke in the Woods", with his ammo box stove in a lavvu?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Bee Outdoors

Aug 10, 2019
Manchester
SHELTERS, specific the Lavvu! I was first introduced to this awesome bit of military shelter when I first joined Lavvu owners worldwide, i was immediately drawn to it. I was not sure about the practicality of the tipi type structure with a pole in the middle and the awkwardness of closing and opening the flap due to the buttons but something about this olive green heavy canvas was appealing so I got one.
My first camp in it just got me hooked even more. It’s like no other experience I have had. The obvious that I’m sure most Lavvu owners experience is waking up in a dark area not totally sure if it’s light enough outside.
I think the nostalgia of using such a relevant military piece of kit adds to the enjoyment. Yet there is one type of setup that I am yet to understand. Half a Lavvu setup! This just does not make any sense to me. There must be a reason why someone would take the time to cart half a Lavvu with them, set it up and use it as a shelter but I can not see the benefit. Apart from giving you a few hours of shade and a wind barrier it kind of reminds me of those useless wind breakers one uses at the beach. It’s not really a shelter and I have looked high and low for historical photos that show it being used in this way but I can’t find any, bringing me to the conclusion that if a half Lavvu was used as an emergency shelter it was used more as a poncho as it was intended. One covering themselves squaring town with a little candle burning for a bit of light and that well needed heat.
Having a half Lavvu setup as in the photo can Only have a few Benefits in my opinion. A photography moment, a backdrop to showcase the Lavvu or glorify a moment, a big umbrella to keep the sun away. If the intention was to get out in the woods for a few hours I would much rather take cover under a tree instead of carrying the extra weight and take the time to set up half a Lavvu for a few hours.
Regardless I still think it’s a awesome shelter as a whole but as far as using half of it I don’t think I’ll be venturing too much in to it. I’ll rather just use it as it was intended. Half, as a poncho whole as a Lavvu.
What’s your thoughts of using half a Lavvu for a 3 to four day shelter?
Happy camping regardless of your setup preferences

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE