Lathes and wood turning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
here's my little attempts today.

100_0678.jpg

100_0675.jpg

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
nice one hiho....might have to give them a go :)

I'm a wargamer so I really want to make a nice dice cup with a lid....I know geeky right lol.

Springheeljack1....I got a Jet mini lathe....doesn't take up a lot of space....down side is I am restricted to turning on good weather days as I don't want to work in the shed....motorbike bicycles and all gardening stuff will get covered in shavings.....so I turn on the patio in the garden. As for skill......well the judge is still out on that one lol.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
the biggest one didn't get sanded as I snapped it off on the last little cut. came straight off and hit me square in the centre of my face visor :)

I'm in the garage with mine. got a nice lined oil streak all up the window, the visor and my T-shirt, as it was the first time I had used the chuck on it today

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
alright fellas. i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a starter lathe? i love working with wood and a lathe seems the next logical step :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
alright fellas. i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a starter lathe? i love working with wood and a lathe seems the next logical step :)

Simon, I've been researching into that question for the lathe I will be buying soon, and have settled on this, as it is within my budget, meets my space requirements/limitations, and gets very good reviews.

greensurfingbear

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
well that's my turning stopped for a while. I've managed to get the face plate stuck on the thread :(
now I've got to wait for postie to drop off a 32mm spanner so I can get them to separate.

nice tip from axminster is to put a fibre washer between faceplate/chuck so that it's easier to get them to separate, wish they would have put it in the destructions or even included one in the box

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Hi there if you insist on buying a chuck make sure you buy one with replacable thread inserts so when you upgrade your lathe you only need to buy the insert if the threads are different and not another chuck. i turned many bowls on a full size lathe before i bought a chuck. It is very easy to spend too much cash on woodturning stuff. on a small lathe you have two options. Screw blank to faceplate then turn the outside with a flat bottom, you now have two options. 1 turn it around and screw back on the faceplate making sure you centre it well; hollow out the inside leaving enough thickness at the bottom to miss the screws and leave a decent thickness of base, unscrew from faceplate turn a little dome to fix to your faceplate then place a piece of folded over sandpaper between the inside of your bowl and the dome, bring up the tailstock and centre it on the bottom of the bowl, turn away the screw holes leaving just a small stub in the middle to carve off. 2 after turning the outside screw a plywood disc to your faceplate then using a hot melt glue gun glue the base to the disc, turn the inside of the bowl, prize off the bowl and then you only need to clean off the glue with a chisel. Hope this helps Paul

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
Suggestions from a long time wood/metal turner...

Only turn legs for three-legged stools/stands.
Don't think you can make money turning... leave it as a hobby - it's fun!
Don't carry woodturning practices to metal-turning! Wood chips are warm - metal curls are hot!
Avoid using metal lathe 3/4 jaw chucks with wood lathes.
Metal doesn't turn well - or safely - on a wood lathe.
Stand aside when starting up a bowl blank - and use a live center to keep pressure on it.
Wear an eye/face mask and a proper dust filter.
Cocobolo is beautiful - turns nicely - can cause anaphylaxis (Shock!).
Spalted wood is beautiful - can cause fungal infections in the respiratory system.
Can't overstate - wear eye/lung protection.
Don't work if angered or overly tired - it's supposed to be fun!

Stainz

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got my lathe a few weeks ago, and churning out small bowls, each one a little better than the previous. Got a friend who will try to sell them on a craft stall, but for her profit not mine. I'm just having fun making them.

Dust is an issue though. What respiratory protection do people recomend?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've turned a couple of little pots on my lathe but it's a metal lathe (Myford Super 7) so gets filthy as there's a lot of oil about & the sawdust sticks to it. I think you can buy a rest to use hand chisels but the maximum diameter is limited

greensurfingbear

Got my lathe a few weeks ago, and churning out small bowls, each one a little better than the previous. Got a friend who will try to sell them on a craft stall, but for her profit not mine. I'm just having fun making them.

Dust is an issue though. What respiratory protection do people recomend?

As I have no workshop I use my lathe on the patio so only turn when the weather is nice. Being outdoors the shavings and dust aren't to bad. I still wear a full face plate visor type thing and a dust mask.

S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE