latest two blades 11/10/14

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
todays work, two 6" blades tidied up with a 400 grit hand done satin finish. same profile but different grinds... trying to decide if i like the finish before fitting scales

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
What are the holes that don't go through for? Are they for adhesive or to lighten the weight of the handle? Lovely looking blades though, they remind me of a BRkT North star which would have been excellent if the handles were like yours.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Try making some stick tang knives, that way they will be light without having to drill all those holes :)

Very nice blades mate:)

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
What are the holes that don't go through for? Are they for adhesive or to lighten the weight of the handle? Lovely looking blades though, they remind me of a BRkT North star which would have been excellent if the handles were like yours.

most of the the holes in the tang are for balance as well as extra adhesion for the epoxy. the shallower holes are just for extra adhesion when i dont want to drill all the way through and risk weakening the tang.
i use lots of smaller holes rather than a few larger ones as i found it gives better rigidity like a "honeycomb" effect, i have tested the handle/blade strength with my body weight jumping on it while balanced with the tip of the blade and tip of the handle resting on blocks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_pdbcrzl8k

Last edited:

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
one of them almost finished, still have to add the red epoxy in the hole for the makers mark and put an edge on it. lights getting bad so will finish the other tomorrow
introducing.... "the Raven"...

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, i appreciate this wont be to everybody's taste but too me it was crying out to be cold blued... this finish i have found is actually pretty resilient to ware. takes several applications to get a full even coat and a deep satin black/blue. i used ballistol quick browning

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
started on the sheaths for them, 2mm olive drab kydex... belt loop to follow. really pleased with the fit lock and extraction on this one so will become my new standard design

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE