latest find

EdS

Called at the civic amenity site (tip to you and me) the other day to drop some plastic off for recycling. THe skip just happened to be next to the metal skip, so I had a little look.

Found 2 leaf springs off a trailer / caravan - off to a good home. But even better there was an old paraffin camp stove. Fished it out and cleaned it up. Result one 2 pint Monitor stove in full working order with all the tools. Althoug as I took it to bit it could now do with a new leather cup as it does quite pressurize fully.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

It box of England's Glory matches where in the box - priced 2 1/2d!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice stove there my man. Keep a look out on ebay, there is a guy from Turkey who sells 5 leathers for £5 delivered, he is a mate, and the leathers are first rate. I need to order some extra's myself, so if you are in no rush, hang on, and I'll forward one to you (and some seals you can have), PM me if interested

Richard

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got to say you are very lucky not just to find something so great but not to be branded a thief!
I was doing the same at my local tip (plastic disposal) and I heard the guy there shouting over to someone who's English was a bit poor 'put it back there are cameras on you you are not allowed to take anything'
It used to be annoying when years ago you got people trying to route in your car but this is going toooo far!!! What harm would it do someone recycling something it was probably gonna be crushed.
I recently got a mango barrel from the skip at work which I hope I can make waterproof and be used in a 'wet situation'.
Dave

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Got to say you are very lucky not just to find something so great but not to be branded a thief!
I was doing the same at my local tip (plastic disposal) and I heard the guy there shouting over to someone who's English was a bit poor 'put it back there are cameras on you you are not allowed to take anything'
It used to be annoying when years ago you got people trying to route in your car but this is going toooo far!!! What harm would it do someone recycling something it was probably gonna be crushed.
I recently got a mango barrel from the skip at work which I hope I can make waterproof and be used in a 'wet situation'.
Dave

Indeed! I was at the tip last year with the kids and no-one else in sight. There was an old pogo stick leant up against the wall so the kids asked me if they could have a go, 'no worries' I said. Anyway once I had done I told the kids to get in the car and I got the usual 'Aw Dad' so like the soft @rse I am said 'chuck it in the back then :rolleyes:' and we all jumped in the car.

As I'm driving off I could hear someone shouting and looked in the rear view mirror to see this 'operative' running after us shaking his fist in the air.

Well, as I was half way down the road I thought 'sod it' and we took off feeling like the great train robbers.

My kids know full well that it's wrong to steal and did quiz me on the morality of acquiring the pogo stick. I explained that if something is voluntarily dumped then it's first come first served as far as I'm concerned.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
A silly and slightly "jobsworthy" attitude I feel - shouldn't we be encouraged to reuse gear which has been thrown away? I don;'t know much about the ins and outs of waste disposal but surely the aforementioned items would've just ended up in a landfill somewhere - or melted down or...? :confused:

Or maybe you've just cut into a lucrative EBAY enterprise run by council waste employees?!!! :lmao:

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
In Cornwall at St Day the local tip has been taken over by some third party. Now the people who work there are not allowed to let anything go from the premises. It all has to be buried.
We keep being exhorted to "recycle" and yet if you offer to even pay for an item you are not allowed to have it.
Better watch out for the "thought police". They'll be after you for that Pogo stick!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, Im always finding stuff but I ask first.

If you ask, chances are you may be offered something else.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Every time I ask at my local skip, they mention cash.

These guys probably earn what I do and asked £20 for an old bike I wanted the handle bars off.

They wouldn't part with a rusty sledgehammer head for less than the price of a new one yesterday either.

I've given up.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik - that ywould be very nice , thank-you.

As for a thief - I had my works id around my next when I asked premission. Guess it helps that I work in the same council department that also covers waste disposal.

No problem Ed, send me postal details please. If the leather on the piston is still intact, soak the the whole thin in oil, any type, I use virgin olive oil; sometimes the leathers spring back to life :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE