Latest bushcraft knife with sami inspired sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Thought I would share my latest handmade made knife to inspire you all to make you own.
You only need basic tools like saw, rasp, files, sandpaper, sandpaper and more sandpaper. :p Other than that you only need a few free week ends.

Note before the pictures:
Was a bit busy with "life" so I kind of forgot to take photos of this knife when it was finished. So this knife had a bit of use and works great, even thought I don’t really like full-tang knifes where I can feel the metal tang.

Blade is a EnZo Trapper 95 in 01 steel.
Handle is Elm root treated with beeswax so seal pores and stacked birch veneer liner with a a mix of linseed- and paraffin oil finish.
The sheath is also Elm root with stacked birch veneer middle and then 3mm leather with belt loop and a D ring attached for having it low hanging.

Enough ramble from me..
Enjoy the pictures..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Beautifully done! I think that's the nicest Enzo and sheath of the great many I've seen....................Very cool!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
That is one of the sweetest trappers Ive seen. :)
I like them handled further up to the ricasso like this. Certainly much nicer to hold than the ready made trappers.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Makes me really happy that you all like it. Thanks for the great responds.
As for the birch liner it was a total gamble, was planing something different but it didn't look right and I had some curly birch veneer laying beside me so grabbed it ad it seemed like it would work. :)

And the Enzo blades are great. Was very impressed with the quality when I first got it and if anything I was more impressed on how good it was to use when I tried it.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Thanks all for the very kind replies make me really happy and inspired to get started on the next knifes.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice work! I like knife sheaths that are wood/leather combo's.
How did you prevent the leather from moving? I made a very similar sheath, but the leather is a little loose and rattles a bit. I made a pair of grooves all the way round the woodsection of the sheath, wet formed the leather and moulded it into the grooves then stitched it up tight after the leather dried. I thinned the edge of the leather down. Should I have epoxy glued the leather to the wood as well after it dried but before I stitched it?
cheers Jonathan

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
This how I made this one and other “gripping” leather sheaths.

First I made grooves in the wood and also did the full oil finish on the wood.
After letting the leather soak in warm water for a few minutes I did one stitch to keep it in place while I did a first pass on wet-forming to prevent it from slipping to much while I sew up the back.

After sewing it I did another wet-forming to get all the grows in the sheath and handle shape, then I “baked” it in the oven (Take the knife OUT of the sheath while it's in the oven!!) at lowest temperature and door open for 5-15 min, this will hardens the leather and also make it shrink and grab the grooves and handle better.

When baked for 5-15 min take it out, put the knife back in and do another pass on wet-forming then repeat the baking and forming a few times until it had a tight fit around both handle and sheath. Don’t over do it to many times as it will dry out the leather to much.

Then I take it and put it somewhere for a few day to completely dry and then put the finish on.

I hope I did write an understandable text, but if there something unclear please ask.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your reply. I never thought about rapid drying the leather in the oven several times...I might just have a go at re-doing the job
This is the knife, a lauri blade and elm handle and elm/leather sheath. It would be worth it as the knife is great and is used almost every day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE