Lars Monsen Canada

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Brilliant to finally see it with subtitles. Lots of amazing moments, like the bear encounter at the end of Episode 1. I find it amusing how he shouts at the bear in English. Chris

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice series. A few thoughts, in random order.

* Whoever did the subtitling was not a top notch translator. There were a few places where I suspects that the person that did it was not a natice speaker of *either* language. Any comments from the local native Norwegian speaker(s). Tor Helge? Anyone else?

* The local Inuits comment on his dogs as being good if it was warm. Their winter coat was not much thicker than my malamutes summer coat. The tragic froozen penis is actually a "common" problem; a few drops of urine is left, which starts the formation of a "p*ssicle", which then conducts heat away.

* Intersting it choices, I suspect that he got various companies to sponsor him by "endorsement and testing". I wonder what gear he would have picked if he had just won the lottery?

* The problems along the Hudson bay with damp sleeping bag and parka is typical of the cold tent camping problems. No good solutions, since he was in an area with little natural fuel. In "Arctic Manual" Stefansson described the traditional equipment solution to this; a stick to beat the frost out of the fur.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Thanks Dave for the heads up on this one,i love the no nonsense of this guy.
I however didnt like the wolf skinning bit but different strokes.
One point i was wondering about was in most of the books ive read about canada it says in bear country dont cook at your campsite and Lars clearly did,anyone with experience please enlighten me.
Probably quite difficult when you have 8 dogs to feed.
Soloman

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Thanks Dave for the heads up on this one,i love the no nonsense of this guy.
I however didnt like the wolf skinning bit but different strokes.
One point i was wondering about was in most of the books ive read about canada it says in bear country dont cook at your campsite and Lars clearly did,anyone with experience please enlighten me.
Probably quite difficult when you have 8 dogs to feed.
Soloman

My wife(who used to live on Great Slave Lake) and I just finished watching all the episodes...between the two of us we have been to many of the places along his trip...what an
impressive journey...I don't know too many people tough enough to tackle the barren lands alone...
As for the question posed...we do a lot of camping out in bear country, and I don't know of anyone who doesn't cook at the campsite; I suppose in a perfect world you
would find a way around it...One thing I really try to avoid is cleaning fish or gutting game at camp. Our area has a very healthy bear population and we have had
several bear encounters, but generally it doesn't take much to persuade a bear to leave you alone. He had one bear who wouldn't be spooked no matter what he did...
only 2 choices there...move camp or shoot the bear. We had a bear on our doorstep one night...guess he liked the smell of dinner we were cooking.I stepped out the door and nearly
tripped over him...scared the unholy bejeezus out of both of us.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Nice series. A few thoughts, in random order.

* Whoever did the subtitling was not a top notch translator. There were a few places where I suspects that the person that did it was not a natice speaker of *either* language. Any comments from the local native Norwegian speaker(s). Tor Helge? Anyone else?

* The local Inuits comment on his dogs as being good if it was warm. Their winter coat was not much thicker than my malamutes summer coat. The tragic froozen penis is actually a "common" problem; a few drops of urine is left, which starts the formation of a "p*ssicle", which then conducts heat away.

* Intersting it choices, I suspect that he got various companies to sponsor him by "endorsement and testing". I wonder what gear he would have picked if he had just won the lottery?

* The problems along the Hudson bay with damp sleeping bag and parka is typical of the cold tent camping problems. No good solutions, since he was in an area with little natural fuel. In "Arctic Manual" Stefansson described the traditional equipment solution to this; a stick to beat the frost out of the fur.

You are right about the translator. I saw several errors early in the clip (didn`t watch the whole clip).
It is almost as if a machine has translated this. Some of the errors was like the ones you would get from using a program like google translator when translating text.

Tor

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Yes I thought a machine was used as well, but full credit to whoever did this for the effort to produce the English even with a machine, at lease it makes it possible to understand and follow, and it's pretty easy to get the context and understand what's going on when the text is a little quirky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE