Laquered blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's all good to stir up debate. Abrasives don't need lubrication.
Perhaps an "absolute" (did I use that term?) is a word not of my choosing but of yours.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It's all good to stir up debate. Abrasives don't need lubrication.
Perhaps an "absolute" (did I use that term?) is a word not of my choosing but of yours.

Abrasives never need lubricants. That's self-defeating.

"Never" is an absolute. It means, "at no time, not ever".
"Abrasives" without further descriptions covers every kind of sanding, grinding, cutting or polishing application.
Then assertion that lubrication is self defeating assumes that the reduction in cutting due to lubrication is not desirable in some cases, and that there are no benefits which may outweigh not having the maximum cut.

If I had chosen to the words in your post, I would have said that for hand sanding and sharpening, the main use of a fluid is to carry the swarf away, rather than to actually lubricate the cut.

In the case of oil stones, I am not at all convinced that they do not require and need the oil as a lubricant, not just something to clean the swarf. I have used water on both coarse and fine oil stones that have never had oil on them, and while they will cut, they did not perform nicely, they were not smooth and in the case of the fine Arkansas stone, I got metal glazing. There was far less swarf apparent in the water, when wiped down with a white cloth, than there is when using oil on the same sort of stone.

Interesting article about lubrication of grinding belts.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Excellent article. I encounter a lot of potential glazing and loading as I use both copper metal and carved pieces of mollusc shells on many of my carvings. Somewhat akin to power sanding wooden articles.
Steady and repeated removal of swarf has saved me hundreds of dollars in materials
like sand papers drums, stone wheels and files.

Sematics. Lubrication to me infers a desirable reduction in abrasive friction.
I don't do enough metal cutting and shaping to be the least bit concerned about such performance.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
RV,
Cheers. I will bow out now.
I find it hard to turn my internal engineering pedant off :banghead2:. Most particularly when I read stuff on forums that I have some experience with professionally. I would say it comes from writing and presenting so many dozen design documents where any over generalisation, language open to multiple interpretations or unqualified statement could see me put on the spot and grilled with an audience. Later it was sometimes my job to be the reviewer and to do the grilling, failure to grill thoroughly could have very expensive consequences. Possible not the best training for conversing on internet forums!!

All the best.

Chris

Reactions: Erbswurst
Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yes Mr C. Although my primary field is car mechanics, I retrained as a mechanical engineer :beerchug: The ceramic side is quite abrasive but wears smoother with use so maybe that's what the supplier meant by not using water? Im not sure...But we seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent, not that this isn't useful information, but I'm looking for a way to remove the laquer without abrasives if possible. I like to keep my kit in as good a contition as possible and maybe should see a professional about my level of possible OCD.
I will keep you all up to date about whatever i try and how it works out, maybe contact cleaner first, I have some on my desk and that is not too harsh. Thanks for all of your advice, like the musical terminator said "I'll be Bach".

Please don't ban me for my stupid jokes...

No idea why this message is posted again, it said I didn't post for some reason...I'm still new so lots to figure out.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I just use the nearly 20 years of wood carving edges as my guide
with help from some First Nations elders when I get into a puzzle.

What is lacquer solvent? Is it somewhat akin to nitrocellulose or to nail polish?
I'd try acetone or nail polish remover. Neither should be capable of damaging steel.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I'm not yet a client of TBS, but as far as I see the guys seem to be pretty intelligent and on top of it experienced bushcrafters.

As I see, they offer this knife with that sharpening tool.

I guess that they think about what they are doing. And I guess, that this here offered set comes ready to use.

I recommend to ask the question to them and I really would like to read here the answer, so it would perhaps be a good idea to inform them with your question about that you will copy the answer to post it here.

In a similar case I informed another maker I personally know that his product was discussed in this forum and he joined here and answered directly in the thread of this forum.

I don't expect every Chinese metal cup maker to do it like that, but if the maker or seller is a real old woodsman himself, like I expect it from the guys who run TBS, in my opinion it's no fault to ask them to join and answer here directly themselves.
That surely would have a good influence to the professional level of this forum.

And especially in this case it would be fair if not necessary to invite them, because it exists a pretty unpleasant video about the first version of this knife in the internet made by two Dutch guys who informed clients about hundreds of outdoor knifes, why this case seems to me to be pretty relevant.

If I look at the TBS homepage I get the impression that the guys are like the pioneers of the modern outdoor equipment makers people who make and sell stuff because they mainly wanted to use it themselves and thought that it would be a good idea to offer it to others as well, different to a lot of brands nowadays which sell stuff to beginners which no experienced bushcrafter or hiker would buy.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Slightly OT. What is the blade cutting angle? With 4mm thick blade and what looks like fairly narrow bevel it might be large, strong edge but not necessarily that well cutting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE