Laptop????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Young Bushman said:
Yep yep i know it is alot more expensive than most places but I was just wondering if he meant he has had some bad business experiences with them before as they have always appeared as devoted, professional salesman when I have dealt with them.
I only shop at PCWorld for printer cartridges and the odd game etc so I haven't had bad experiences of buying one of their PCs, however I've stood in the check-out line many times listening to customers who had bought systems from them who weren't very happy. :?:

And I listened to a salesman in there giving his sales pitch to a couple recently ... he told them that the hard-disk was big enough to never fill up! :naughty:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Squidders said:
tenbears10 I'd be surprised if you don't get publicly flogged for that uncalled for outburst! :yikes:

There stands a man prepared to take a good flogging in the name of sanity and good taste :eek:):

The only person who should be flogged is Bill Gates :naughty: :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Kath said:
I only shop at PCWorld for printer cartridges and the odd game etc so I haven't had bad experiences of buying one of their PCs, however I've stood in the check-out line many times listening to customers who had bought systems from them who weren't very happy. :?:

And I listened to a salesman in there giving his sales pitch to a couple recently ... he told them that the hard-disk was big enough to never fill up! :naughty:

Th thing with PC world is they don't stock any crap, it's all good. I know a few people who have had problems with PC world when they had a virus or something and taken it to their clinic to get it repaired and have it come back not repaired, and maybe in a worse state than it was before. I've been into one of their shops and have seen people behind the helpdesk not old enough to have got any proper qualifications for them to give advice in maintenance etc. :roll:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, nope, new office software, although the macs do come with some good stuff. MS office was discontinued for the macs about....4 years ago I think.

I've been tempted by a mac a few times, they are good systems if you can get over the prices. I saw a comparison test a few months ago and for most things a PC could easily keep up if not exceed the macs, but they do look good!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Wayne said:
I am tempted by the ibook. Afterall it looks good. however being as primitive as they come will i have to pay (nasty word that) for software like office or will my current office software work etc?

No. PC specific software will not work on the Mac OS. But if you already have a version you can upgrade to the latest Mac version of Office, like you would on a PC. Read more hereon Office on a Mac.:

Office 2004 for Mac

Retailers often do special prices to bundle such software. Personally I don't use any MS products including the Office suite because the Mac OS X gives me all the basic apps I need except a database app like Excel. And for those apps I don't have I tend to go for open source apps mostly now and move away from expensive software which needs updating regularly and paying for. In Mac OS X I use the bundled Text Edit app which does basic word processor stuff quite fine for letter writing etc and it can now save directly into Word format or as RTF so anyone can open it. It also opens Word documents etc. And OS X comes bundled with great browser and email apps already. There are literally thousands of free or shareware apps out there now that the Mac uses unix as it's core.

Apple do a section on Switching from PC to Mac here with lots of info about it and how Macs work in a PC environment, moving stuff across etc:

Apple - Switch

The other thing I find is that the Mac community is very passionate and always willing to help others, a bit like the Linux community for instance so often you can sort things out without having to pay for tech support etc like with Windows.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Tony said:
he he, nope, new office software, although the macs do come with some good stuff. MS office was discontinued for the macs about....4 years ago I think.

I've been tempted by a mac a few times, they are good systems if you can get over the prices. I saw a comparison test a few months ago and for most things a PC could easily keep up if not exceed the macs, but they do look good!
Then you want to check out the 'Office 2004 for Mac' link above Tony :wink: It has some nice features not even found in the PC version.

Seriously, I really feel, especially at the top end (Powermac G5 etc), Macs are really on par with PC's in terms of speed, processor power etc. These days there is little to chose unless you really want to really dabble in clock and chipping etc. Sure there are apps which you can only get for Windows but they are few now. Especially with laptops the price for a Mac or PC with similar specs is not that great. You don't get the very cheap stuff but then, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for (making sure you shop around for the best deals).

What I look for mostly in a computer is reliability, good build quality, ease of use, secure usage and good value for money (that is not cheapest!).

I like the great user interface of the Mac OS which I find intuitive and the fact that I have not had a virus or trojan etc in the last 3 years really is a plus for me when I have to sort out my wife's PC on a regular basis.

The popularity of the iPod for instance typifies the good product design, good looking design and practicality of Apple these days.

In the end it is a personal choice but I think Apple now offers a very credible option. And did I mention they are cool :lol:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Well in Redflex.Who else is gonig to join us on the darkside? :yikes:

I'll let you know when I have the powerbook to surf BCUK.

Look out for refurbished deals on macs apple the link is on the right hand side and the shop is open from 10:00 on wednesdays. They have some great deals and the stuff is in as new condition just cheaper.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Lithril said:
Just incase it helps anyone, Mac offers major discounts to anyone in teaching.

Forgot that nice one Lithril. A few weeks ago they had a cashback deal so if you bought an ibook you could have a new ipod for about £50 (they are £220 full price if you were wondering).

I Think it is also quite ethical to give teachers a discount and no I'm not one.

Bill

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
A few notes on PC world

*they do stock some crap
*they do have good prices if you find the right deals
*I've known of people that have had very good experience with them
*I am not one of them
*dont believe everything you read on the net about big companies. It;s the things that go wrong that get known

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Good call tenbears10. Always worth looking there and on eBay although Macs hold their value pretty well.

Enjoy the Powerbook when you get it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE