Lapp Pukko vs Mears training knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

stonepaws

Can anyone let me know of the differences between these two knives....which one is more suitable for a competent beginner...? ta

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
By "Mears training knife" do you mean the Frost Mora?

If so, there are reasonably significant differences in build quality, price grade of steel (I suspect), but for starting-out purposes there's nothing wrong with the Mora at all. I've got both (in fact I got my Mora from Woodlore), and use both of them on an almost equal basis - depending on circumstances, and which is currently sharper.

Welcome to the site, by the way!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Here is a picture of the 2 knives to help you decide, the top one being the Mora or training knife, and the bottom one being the puukko.

164126.jpg

They will both do the exact same functions, but the Lapp puukko is a much nicer knife with a curly birch handle and a leather sheath. I would not think that the puukko is made of a significantly better steel than the mora, but the bigger bevel (partly down to a thicker blade) will make it easier to keep flat on a stone when sharpening.

I would say it all depends on if you want a knife to get the job done, or a nice knife to get the job done!

mojo

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I use a red handled Mora fits nicely in the hand, same price as the Green Plastic handled Mora, but a lot nicer in my opinion. :confused:
Sorry can't find a Picture of one or info where to get one I got mine off the net.

MickT

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
bothyman said:
I use a red handled Mora fits nicely in the hand

MickT

I'm told the handle can be a bit small in diameter for people with big hands, though otherwise a nice knife.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

I have the Lapp Puukko in the picture myself and I love it, however for a beginner I would think the plastic finger guard on the Mora is an extremely important safety feature I would prefer for an beginner.

If a beginner would slip using the Lapp Puukko he or she could get seriously cut!. I still sometimes cut myself when I crop up to close to the blade when doing fine cutting jobs, the Lapp Puukko handle really thins out very much towards the blade.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

S

stonepaws

thanks, I'll learn some stuff on the Mora and then save for the Puukko... great site!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i would go with the mora.. its that cheap that you can 'learn' to sharpen on it and it doesnt matter so much if you role the edge or something like that!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a tough choice. Both are very good. I carry the SWAK a lot more though because I have a custom kydex sheath for it and it rides nicely upside down on the shoulder strap of my backpack. I also tend to agree with Bagheera's comments on safety. But I do like the Lapp Puukko as well. The knife looks good and feels good in the hand and the dangler sheath rides well on the hip.

Oops, I had to take a second look at that sheath. :eek: Not a dangler eh?

Hmmm, I think it is. Mine rides with a leuku so I don't have the single sheath.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Mora is a nice knife but I've fell in love with the Kellam AK2 its similar to the pukko but the handle is slightly larger as I found the pukko had a tendancy to twist slightly in my hand.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
If your after a cheap starter knife have a look at here -

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

The Frosts knives im told are quite good and the prices are throw away. Maybe we could organise a group buy to get the P&P down and even a bulk buy rate. Id buy a few of the cheaper knives as gifts and just to give to friends who want to have a go.
There will be people on here who will be able to make recomendations as to which knife is best for you and at those prices you could buy a couple.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The puukko has a deceptively sophisticated handle. Remember Sammi people are working in the cold, often wearing mittens. The knives are drawn TO the body which gives greater, and safer control. That big flat pommel is usefull for pushing the knife into a reindeer or birchtree. Look at the angle. If you reverse grip the knife for careful incising your thumb rests very naturally on top. There was a swedish website with illustrations showing this and other grips. http://home.swipnet.se/lagerelden/mat.index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE