lanturn gurus help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya gang

Now the l have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016GDA...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0016GDA5E

now please forgive me for not using the correct termonology but at the moment its not working. The reason for it is its not gurgling when pressured. Now having spoken to a few friends who have them they have said it needs a needle putting up its gurgle maker, but i am damed if i know how to do it or what the proper name for a gurgle maker is and or how to access said gurgle maker so could some one please help me

thank you

drew

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lantern,

Is it holding pressure? is it new?

If secondhand and someone has used car petrol in it the odds are the generator tube needs replacing because the fuel additives have blocked it, look on eBay.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I agree with Richard - change the generator tube. I'd probably do this as a matter of course if the lamp isn't new, save loads of faffing later when you really need it to work.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Assuming the hook at the bottom of the generator is still in the eye then it should be sef cleaning. When the knob is turned at the start it will move a needle in and out of the generator. you can try wiggleing the first 1/4 turn a few times.

As others have said check tank gets pressurized, if not then either filler seal has gone, pump washer has gone or none return valve. Are you using the pump correctly? Undo 1/4 turn or so then thumb over hole and pump the close back up when done. If you have pressure in the tank then the culprit is a blocked generator which may need replacing or some people have had luck soaking them in cilit bang ovenight.

Let us know how you get on!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Lantern,

Is it holding pressure? is it new?

If secondhand and someone has used car petrol in it the odds are the generator tube needs replacing because the fuel additives have blocked it, look on eBay.

hiya rick

yes it is holding pressure and it isnt new but i an the only owner. Its worked up till now and yes it does pressuer up in the tank but it has stoped gurgleing when i turn the switch
and the deul i us is car that car paint stripper you suggested when i baught it that i cant remember the name of

drew

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
IMAG0007.jpg

this is as far as i have striped it and all the pushy pully bits dont seem to be blocked but the tank doesnt seem to be pressurising (sp). Its because the pressure nob seems to be already pressuered before you start and is dead difficult to do anything with and the washers look brand new but then again i may be wrong and the huck was in the eye let so as you said its self cleaning so i still am clue less and still dont no what the generator looks like so can say weather i have taken it off or not

thanks so far drew

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
hang on a minute. we seam to be getting confused here. have you managed to pressurize the tank? from what you said in the last post you are not able to pump it? if so you must unscrew the end of the pump about o.e turn before you can pump.hope that helps

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Mmmmmm,

Putting aside gurglers, pushy pully bits etc

Firstly is the lantern making and holding pressure....??

If you unscrew the filler cap let out all of the pressure in the tank. Then put the filler cap back on and tighten it then use the pump correctly to pressurize the tank. Does the tank pressurize?

If yes then if you leave it an hour pumped up does it still have pressure in when you come back?

If the answer is yes to both questions then the lantern makes and holds pressure.

If the lantern does this but no fuel mix comes out when you attempt to light it following the correct lighting instructions.then the most likely cause is the generator tube is blocked. With Coleman lanterns this is reasonably common..

Coleman carry a good range of spares for all of their products so you just need to buy a new generator tube and fit this.

That in 90% of cases will sort out your problems.

The generator is the long tube made from brass that feeds fuel to the mixing tubes it's the bit with the wire inside.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Drew,

I have run mine solely on car petrol for about ten years and it has never blocked.

I dont think from what youve written you are pressurising the tank, but just the piston inner tube.

Do a few pumps and then twist off the filler cap, air should rush out. This will be saturated with fuel so no sparks or ignition sources nearby ok!

As the post above says you need to unscrew the pump anti clockwise. The one on my exponent stove sometimes sticks so i bet that is the problem. Try untwisting it a few turns.

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE