Lanktoo IP65 Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I bought two of these smart little lanterns from Amazon for the winter moot. I paid £21 but they've been as low as £14, so worth keeping tabs on camelcamelcamel with them to look for the right price.

They are part of a series, with lots of versions floating about. Some have got clocks, temperature gauges, red leds and even remote controls.

This particular version I've bought is a CL4 and it has an 8800mah battery. It offers Charging from the USB and to charge your devices from a normal USB A port. Some are identical so double check the specs as some have tiny batteries other much larger in the same dimensions.

It has four modes, medium, low, high and SOS.

Why did I list it in that order? Medium is the first mode when you turn it on. You then cycle with each click to low, high, SOS and back to medium. Two clicks turns it on, two clicks turn it off. A single click shows the remaining power on the light, so you won't get caught out.

I believe the 18 LEDs total about 6w on the basis it runs 18hrs at "high" (I assume 12v) on 8.8a. It is estimated it runs at 196 lumens. There is a warning that it can get hot in the manual. I can only assume that is if you use it on the higher setting for long periods of time.

Each step reduces the power output by 2/3rds. So medium gives a duration boost to 60hrs at 64 lumen and low is 84hrs and produces 24 lumen.

The top is a diffused plastic which gets good spread over a wide area. The top of the light has a plastic carabiner clip useful for ridge lines.

Testing in the house the illumination of the highest mode is painful to look at in a well lit living room. The medium lights a large room up nicely and the low is bright enough to read by.

I was very surprised at how light and small these are for the size of battery and the brightness. I'd have no worries suspending them on a ridgeline and as the light is in the base, they're perfect to suspend. The carabiner folds flat across the base so you can also put it in the more traditional upright position which blinds you when used on a table.

IP65 means I don't have to worry about accidently leaving them out overnight either.

As mentioned, I bought these for tarp lighting at the moot. It'll be interesting to see how well they work. I really expected them to be much bigger. They'll make an excellent addition for base camping.

64ba985186947973296ce4e81a670c91.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy and Nice65

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
4 18650s at 2200mAh? Looks like it, and the 12800mAh version has 4 3200mAh?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'd say it was too light for that. I'd have to weigh it. Maybe a more modern version.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Worth a look for me. I was looking at the BudgetLightForum LT1 lantern which I’m sure is superb, but a bit pricy.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd say it was too light for that. I'd have to weigh it. Maybe a more modern version

Agreed, it looks a little small for 4 x 18650. Be totally prepared for most manufacturers to overstate mAh, they just do...all the time. That aside, it looks tidy and portable, I’m going to look into them for convenience in the camper and tent when the paraffin lamp needs lighting but I’ve put my lighter ‘somewhere’. :D

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
That's true! I wanted a lantern that could last 8hrs a day for a week - so as long as it does 56hrs I should be more than fine. That's enough time to cook in the dark and have a couple of games of cards on camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE