Landrover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
hey all

After wanting/needing a new car for sometime, the old one falling to bits and not going to be able to do the slog to work every morning for much longer, i have finally got myself a new toy.

It is a Y reg Discovery. I’m pretty damn sure the thing has sat in a garage since it was made, it is absolutely pristine, I’m not talking very good for its age, I’m talking this thing might as well have rolled out of the factory and onto my drive.

From what everyone says I’m looking about 28mpg, which isn’t amazing i know, i also have a long way to go, which is a necessary evil, but heck, it’s going to be a joy to drive.

So, advice and warning please :)

Btw, pictures of me looking all smug with it to follow

MARK II

Jul 31, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
I just got a landrover aswell , a 1999 tdi freelander in good condition , and with the right tyres it should do everything I need it to.I am looking forword to testing it out, as I guess you are to. and happy new year to you all.

Mark

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm Landy advice.....turning circle of the titanic (and just as prone to leaks) :lmao:

Seriously though, love ours (110 200tdi sw Defender). On the Disco, watch for rust on the door sills and around the back door. Always make sure you are stationary to change ratios, never drive on road with dif lock engaged, when coming back on road from off road, wash the wheels or "spin off" the mud - clogged tyres will leave the road slick for others and wreck your stopping distance. Remember if fitting aggressive MT tyres, on road grip is lessened and road noise increases. AT tyres give less grip off road. Oh and REALLY watch transmission wind up if you have diff lock engaged - I've seen many a blown transmission from them as didn't know :( !

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mark,

Michelin do a decent one - 15% off in ATS if you buy 2 or more this week 25% if you buy 4. Full set (5) should be under £500. Best there is are BFGs A/T imo. Just ordered 5 for the Landcruiser today funnily enough - around £600 (bigger tyre than your freelander mind).

Red

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The BF Goodrich AT tyre is rated as just about the best all terrain tyre you can get. It might be pricey but is reputed to last about 50k miles so not too bad an investment.
Failing that, Colway do a copy of it in a remould. This is a modern remould not the old sort that fell apart at speed. They are only rated for 100mph though, and last about 35k miles form what I have read. They are however about £35 a corner, so considerably cheaper.

Jan 14, 2006
Blackpool
I have been abusing a discovery off road (and on :-0 ) since 1993, they are good trucks.
plenty of waxoil underneath -as said earlier rear door sill and passenger sills, also the rear floor under the carpet.
Also keep the paint on the a pillars (either side of the windscreen) in good shape.
change the oil religously, and use a quality turbo rated one such as Mobil S.
get the cyclinder head tightened regularly.
Tyres- I use BFG MT in 225/75x16 excellent for the UK and ok on tarmac, they do wear quicker than A/T though. Shop around, espcially at shows, "blemished" BFG's turn up cheap mine were £65ea against £85 or more for cosmetically perfect ones.
Disco's are amazing good in standard form, if you put better tyres on, and start getting serious, think about a tank guard next. I have the one with a detatchable tow hitch -brilliant.
As for mpg, mid 20's is normal, thrash it and it will drop to 18mpg the best I had was 35 on a slow run. I am a licenced biofuel producer and use veg oil based fuel without too many problems (staring in the cold usually) so in terms of fossil diesil mpg I get about 100mpg!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE