Land Rover Rebuild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I recently offered some time and assistance to Wayne and his mate Dave in a quest to rebuild our 200Tdi 90 on a glavanised chassis - and stick in a salvage bulkhead. I must say, this is not something that I would have attempted on my own, but was able to be a spanner monkey/tea boy for a few of the days of the project.

After about 9 days (verging on nights too), 1 1/2 jars of coffee and a whole lot of garage sarnies, chocolate and Monster Munch, we opened up a bottle of beer to celebrate Mel getting her vehicle back and me not having to run her to work every day :D The number of "I will sort that out another day" had been reduced due to the hours put in, for which I am eternally greatful. I can't thanks these guys enough for all the work.

Once I have found my camera cable, I will get some pictures up of the work in progress, but in the meantime I have attatched acouple that Wayne took aboult half way through.

I sourced the chassis from Richards Chassis who I have to commend. Their service was great, only took a couple of days from initial call to delivery, and all of the holes (bar 3 which only needed a slight adjustment) were either drilled or drilled and tapped were in the right place.

Lots of other parts came next day mail order (which only cost £4 at the time) from Paddock Spares who were pretty switched on and helped loads.

A few other bits came from the helpful (if not slightly more expensive) people at 3 Land rover parts counters around Sussex and Hampshire.

Hopefully this will mean that the Landy will have many years of service left in it - and now I can start looking for new doors, body caoping etc, etc, etc ;)

Anyway, I will post more later when I have got my life sorted out.

So has anyone else conducted major open vehicle surgery to keep something on (or off) the road?

Attachments

• Old chassis.jpg
    Old chassis.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Engine and Gearbox out.jpg
    Engine and Gearbox out.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 47

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi Rob,

Nice one. It's a good feeling to have finished a project like that. A brew boy is very important for the smooth operation to continue!

I have helped rebuild a seriesII before and the picture of that gearbox sitting on the floor looks all too familiar!

A galvanised chassis will last for ages and ages and so should the 200Tdi. They are very good engines.

Did you count how many new swear words were created during the project?
Julian.

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
Rob said:
I recently offered some time and assistance to Wayne and his mate Dave in a quest to rebuild our 200Tdi 90 on a glavanised chassis - and stick in a salvage bulkhead. I must say, this is not something that I would have attempted on my own, but was able to be a spanner monkey/tea boy for a few of the days of the project.

So has anyone else conducted major open vehicle surgery to keep something on (or off) the road?

Yep, rebuilt a 1974 over nearly 4 1/2 years... All in a single garage...!!

New Chassis from Paddock, as were a lot of the other bits... I'm only half an hour away which is costly...

I've rebuilt some of the parts to overcome some of the niggling design issues, and done things like have all the original cappings shot blasted and galvanised...

I recon its good for at least another 30 years, and should see at least the kids learning to drive...

Cheers

Peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE