Land access question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm in need of a quick piece of advice.

I live in Scotland, and upto now I've practiced my half -@rsed attempts at bushcraft in the small woodland on my father in laws farm.

I would like to venture further afield, however I'm a little unsure of what rights and responsabilities I have.

Nearby there is a large privatley owned woodland, which is open to the public and frequented by dog walkers bikers and imo complete W**nkers on motorbikes (just a small pet hate) , I have on occasion seen tents erected in the wood and I've come across the smoldering remains of what appear to be large sacrafical pyres but could just be numpties having a campfire.

Also there a number of Large FC Forests (in one case absolutley enormous, durris Forest in Aberdeenshire if anyone knows it), within easy reach.

As far as I'm aware i have a right to responsible access to the private woodland including wild camping, though I'd probably use a firebox or hobo stove rather than a full on campfire.

I'm less clear of access rights to FC land, I once read that camping without permission would result in a fine in a forestry commission forest (I think it was actually the one in the Trossacks where the scottish meet was held), but how can they fine you if you have a right to resposible access.

also regarding the privatly owned woodland would it be better to seek permission before camping. Though if they refused they couldn't legally stop someone camping there, - how many land owners are aware of their obligatiosn regarding responsible public access to land .

I think I've kind of rambled a bit but hopefully some kind soul will be able to enlighten me.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There`s some quite useful information in this thread Robbo

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23591&highlight=wild+camping+scotland

Speaking personally, I would always ask permission to camp as it just saves a lot of hassle. I`ve been booted off land in the middle of the night before and it`s not pleasant believe me.
Land access is a whole different ball game in Scotland though so I can`t really speak from experience, I`m sure someone on here will help you though.

Hope you find what you need in the link anyway.

Rich

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Here is a couple of other links, which explain whats what. Certain places can be made exempt, but you can find out from your local authority if there are any. Also places which you may normally have access can be temporally be closed completely or redirect you, for instance if there was active logging / felling , road maintenance , crop spraying etc. These should be sign posted but may not be.

Scottish National Heritage

Office of Public Sector Information

Abroath is a fantastic place to use as a base for Bushcraft, you have Monthremont forrest not far away, all the cliffs and Auchmity for sea fishing/foraging, The angus Glens...Glen Lee is a very wild place with a couple of great wee underused bothies, although you'll need to howk your own coal in! Some of the gamies up there are laws unto themselves and have allegedly poisened badgers/birds of prey etc, now with the new access code they can't say a thing.

Great place to stomp around in:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree with Woodsmoke :D Lucky man to live so near.

If it's really worrying at you, email or phone or write to SNH and ask for a copy of the Know the Code handbook. It's full of good, clear information, and it's not only free but it's weatherproof too :D

The website is:

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

atb,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In Scotland, you're still not allowed a fire on or near a road or 'plantation'. The Access code does not prohibit fires elsewhere, but does generally discourage them - so caution and discretion advised.

Walking and wild camping is possible on most FC land with few exceptions (pay campsites like Loch Achray, and in areas of harvesting etc).

The key is the 'responsible' access.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE