Lake Winston Lunch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
As a compliment to my Cumberland State Forest thread in the Out and About forum, I promised to show what I had for lunch on my outing. Here are a few pics...

My stuff. My high school's mascot was the Redbone Hound, Redhound for short. So, many years ago, I adopted it for my personal mascot. Here is my personal mascot, Redhound.
DSCN1580.jpg

My Etowah Outfitters alcohol stove with mag block / ferro striker.
DSCN1581.jpg

Reminiscent of my old Boy Scout mess kit from the 70s, here is a Coleman mess kit in the same style, KFS set and a P-38 can opener.
DSCN1583.jpg

The components of the mess kit.
DSCN1588.jpg

Primus kettle on to boil. A wind screen around the stove.
DSCN1586.jpg

Nothing fancy, the menu: Canned chicken & rice soup, a little sage flavored sausage, goose pate', crackers, an orange for dessert and mint tea.
DSCN1589.jpg

Browning the sausage to add in the soup.
DSCN1595.jpg

The sausage added to the soup.
DSCN1601.jpg

Mess Call! Fixin' to "tuck in".
DSCN1603.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Cheers Martin!

whys there a teddy?

It is my personal mascot. I'm not sure how the tradition of stuffed toys being used as personal and unit mascots started. I remember, as a young high school student, seeing the pictures from WWII of soldiers posing with their personal mascots. I thought it was a neat tradition and have done so since. Many were/are animals but at least one famous mascot, that I am familiar with, was a Raggetty Ann rag doll. Major R.M. Tarrant, commander of a company in the 13th Battalion, 5th Brigade, 6th Airborne Division, jumbed into France with his personal mascot Raggetty Ann. When I served, I had one Company Commander that had a stuffed toy eagle as the company's mascot. I had a First Sergeant that held company formations with his personal mascot "Bat", a small baseball bat.

But on a lighter note...I'm just a big old wussie that needs the comfort of my "security blankie" err, I mean "stuffie". :D :D :D

Gordy

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Not sure what happened to my reply, must not have hit the submit button????

It was a good day out Neil. The lake is also a good spot for fishing.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE