**ladies only**

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
I do indeed have one of these and can say it's great. Environmentally friendly and pretty discreet.

And a title of **ladies only** is bound to draw the guys in, though they may wish they hadn't clicked... :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found it a pain to use when out. There was just no way to do it cleanly.
It actually made more mess than using the sponges or tampons or towels.
Basically if you can't manage a diaphragm one handed you won't manage this without a mess.
Fine somewhere with decent clean running water to wash up as you go, but otherwise.....there's a reason our grandmothers used pads and wore skirts.

We had a thread about this a while ago, I think the conclusion from most folks was bag and take out, or if you were at a really understanding camp, burn the biodegradeable stuff discreetly and bury the ashes.

I'll see if I can find the link to the thread.

cheers,
Toddy

Link:-

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4158

Last edited:

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
thanks for the all advice. it would be great to read the old thread on this!
... yeah, i must admit, based on observations of the forum i did wonder if the title **ladies only** would attact attention, but as they say ... curiousity killed the cat!! sorry all you delicate little flowers.. oops i mean men :lmao:

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
On the same kind of topic.
Have any of you tried the Whizz or Shewee?
After trying a cardboard version that they handed out at the "Ladies urinals" at Glastonbury, I've been wondering if these are practical or just a surefire way of wetting your pants!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm told that the girls who go to the arctic love them; and the same holds true for public (!!) urinals in India and so on.

Personally I thought the 'extension tube' was penile envy written large :D :lmao:

I can see a point to them, but...and it's a big but, I had disagreements with a couple of fathers on the forum who insisted that their young daughters had to use them. It was said in such a way that they were clearly saying that the female was inconvenient, that the handy wee hose attachment that boys come with was a much better thing. No appreciation or acceptance that the girls might actually 'like' being girls with all that entails, or that it was something wrong or not good enough.
Half the world squats to pee, what is the father's problem with it ?
Girls need as much encouragement and patience as they learn to do it neatly, as boys do.

It never fails to appal me just how manky loos get at festivals; there's no need, a little bit of courtesy from everyone and it'd be fine for everybody, but there's always a hard core creep who just splashes everywhere :sigh: Their mother's ought to be ashamed to have reared them so badly.

Cardboard shewee ? hmmm, the real one's are sort of rounded, and with care, and it does need care, it doesn't leave you wet.....I still think it needs a tissue though :eek:
What was the cardboard one like ? was it origami able ?

cheers,
Toddy

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
After trying a cardboard version that they handed out at the "Ladies urinals" at Glastonbury, I've been wondering if these are practical or just a surefire way of wetting your pants!

i've pondered this too, and debated whether to get one. i decided today whilst out walking and trying to find the prefect spot -so as not to moon at some unsuspecting walker, that i'm going to get one and give it a go.... !!! i'll let you know how i get on...!!

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I was talking to my sister the other weekend about these. She camps as well. she says she uses hers in the middle of the night if she needs to go and uses a bottle and a she wee. Then she uses a 'value baby wipe after.
Works for her. But then again she is not in the middle of nowhere!
Alan
p.s. I have a 'male bottle' for when I need to go in the night (Ah the joys of meds!).

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth

Got myself a shewee! after the initial awkwardness and laughter,have to say i'm actually very impressed with the shewee!! definately needs a little practice before you use it out in the field, but well worth it x

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
I find the problem with the shewee is that they are easier to use with some trousers and not others!! (that sounds odd) So you have to practice a lot at home! As a youth worker who's taken groups of (challenging!?) teenage boys on overnight expeditions to woodlands with no water / toilets / privacy - it's well worth learning to use one. I tried the whizz version and find it harder to use. The bright pink accessories eg storage case that they do for the shewee are rubbish - not very discreet and the case is very poorly made, the lid drops off and then some bright spark says "what's that" - not a conversation you want to have. A plastic lined zip up makeup bag that can go in the washing machine (with the shewee) is much better.
If you want to generate a bit of discussion at christmas - shewee's make a good stocking filler.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My wife has used a mooncup off and on for quite a few years. She gets very heavy periods and finds the mooncup better when sanitation is a problem - it isn't essential to wash it again before reinsertion (as long as you don't get dirt or anything else on it).

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
I find the problem with the shewee is that they are easier to use with some trousers and not others!! (that sounds odd) So you have to practice a lot at home! As a youth worker who's taken groups of (challenging!?) teenage boys on overnight expeditions to woodlands with no water / toilets / privacy - it's well worth learning to use one. I tried the whizz version and find it harder to use. The bright pink accessories eg storage case that they do for the shewee are rubbish - not very discreet and the case is very poorly made, the lid drops off and then some bright spark says "what's that" - not a conversation you want to have. A plastic lined zip up makeup bag that can go in the washing machine (with the shewee) is much better.
If you want to generate a bit of discussion at christmas - shewee's make a good stocking filler.

i went for the 'nato green' as i thought it was a little more discreet!!.i'm gald i probably made the right choice in not bothering with the case... i did think they looked very like the holders you used to get for tampax, which if i remember rightly broke just looking at it! though if anyone is interested in getting a case they do them in nato green too x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE