Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
makes a cracking knife handle ;)

slicerWEB.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Anything you like except eating or drinking impliments.........the contrast between the heart & sap wood can make for stunning objects........careful when sanding, there are some health issues with the dust.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I believe it's only the dust that is toxic. If you made a spoon you'd have to eat it before it did you a mischief... However if someone has further info.....

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A bow - *%%^*££!!!!! I've bloomin chopped it way too short for a bow! I had no idea!

Not sure on the eating utensil front - if anyone can confirm its toxicity then I'll not bother and will just stick to knife handles.

Cheers all.

Andy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just a note to add that once seasoned, the wood is tremendously hard, and can be hard work with hand tools.

As for toxicity, if the utensil has a finish such a wax or a lacquer, then the wood isn't as issue as food it in contact with the finish, not the wood. Utensils made from yew have been used by others on here without problems, and that is at least as toxic as laburnam.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A bow - *%%^*££!!!!! I've bloomin chopped it way too short for a bow! I had no idea!

Not sure on the eating utensil front - if anyone can confirm its toxicity then I'll not bother and will just stick to knife handles.

Cheers all.

Andy

i believe Robin Wood has researched the toxicity. Do some searching but I think it's not a problem, despite the held belief that it is.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a 3 page report from Kew on toxicity of laburnum. seeds and flowers have high levels of toxin, leaves and bark a little bit but the wood does not appear in any of the authoritive "woods toxic to man" books. This could simply be because there has not been a test done that showed toxin within timber. I carried on using it for a while and sent the report to anyone who was interested in buying but in the end I decided it was too much hassle when there are other woods. I would use it myself though.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Out of interest what bit of the wood is good for a bow?

A combination of heart and sap wood like with yew?

Cheers

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
I check for new opinions on Laburnum every year within various woodworking disciplines and so far the attitude amongst pros has always been it's safe especially after a good finish has been applied. But there is always a niggling doubt.Most turners will use it for bowls, a lot of spoon carvers limit it's use to non wet spoons like coffee or salt spoons. I have made a few spoons but sell them as decorative spoons, giving folk the info to decide for themselves. I agree with Robin though that it not worth the effort for food. But it is my favourite wood for carving owls the grain can is perfect for feathers. Not all carving has to be utilitarian, owls are easy to carve and are one of the first things we encourage children to carve. If it must be a spoon , think decorative like a Welsh love spoon.

As to it being hard to carve when it is seasoned, I hear this said of a lot of woods , but find as long as my tools are sharp in a lot of ways its easier . Laburnum splits very easily, and the best way to stop this is to season it.It also means that the finish you get straight from a knife or tool is fantastic.

There are good reasons to work green wood, ease of carving is not always the main reason .

Whether a wood is toxic is far some black and white. Often most people have no problem with woods like Laburnum, Yew or Eucalyptus. Yet the dust from Yew on my skin now effects my breathing, it never used to. A turner friend having worked in wet and seasoned yew for 40 years sudden thought he was having a heart attack, it was the Yew.There is a spoonmaker who having used Eucalyptus for years had a similar experience. For me there are plenty of uses for these woods other than Treen. I hope you have fun with your wood, a friend of mine cut down a Laburnum in his garden to protect his kids and burnt it. He has been kicking himself ever since.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Out of interest what bit of the wood is good for a bow?

A combination of heart and sap wood like with yew?

Cheers

If the sap wood is good leave it on. If you did cut it short dont worry you can always make a nice take down bow. The sleeves for the take down are available online.

063.jpg

066.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE