La feuillardière (photo essay so very pic heavy)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I spent some time in France last year searching around, trying to look into traditional French woodland crafts. I thought I'd share some photos of one aspect.

By way of introduction, the SW region of Limousin is full of sweet chestnut - le châtaignier - which grows well on its generally acidic soil. It is not the only area - the Ardèche has a lot as well - but it is arguably the area where the most amount of 'old' French woodland tradition still lives. Most of the sweet chestnuts are there for the chestnut fruit harvest, but in this region at least, coppicing is still alive. Not very well from what I saw :( but alive at least :)

Amongst the usual coppice products you'd find in UK as well, sweet chestnut is used to make 'le feuillard', perhaps the quintessential product of sweet chestnut coppicing in France. 'Le feuillard' is basically young sweet chestnut rods split and formed into circular shapes on a jig, and bound with wire, to make hoops that are the traditional fastenings around wine barrels. They are also used in some areas to make lobster pots. I've seen some reference to hazel being used in UK for barrel hoops, but no evidence that this still happens?

The person who makes 'le feuillard' is called, not surprisingly, 'la feuillardière', and there are really very few of these craftsmen left. This is a photo essay of one of them.

If you know more about this craft, or can clarify anything you think I've got wrong, I'd love to have your comments here :)

Anyway, here are the photos...

Rods are sorted and trimmed
1658035195_6055dac02c.jpg

Then a bunch are selected and first they are cleaned up with a billhook
1658888430_c6f9651510.jpg

And also sometimes with an old file (I think) converted into a sort of billhook (he really loved this tool)
1658889328_3a38e28977.jpg

Then split - this was the only part of the process that was short cut using modern machinery. In the old days these were of course split by hand, but he explained to me that using a saw allowed him to discard fewer rods that didn't split well by hand, and saved him a good deal of money as a result. We're talking small margins here!
1658891978_27f65ed3a4.jpg

You can see the 'clean' machine split in this photo
1658030357_5181ae958d.jpg

Then soaked
1658017901_c36578a251.jpg

Then they are trimmed so they will fit together properly. Note the shaving falling off
2237399778_5a16842803.jpg

A close up of the very specific tools used. Note the hooks on the chest pad to support the long end of the rod
1658883726_e6c39fd16d.jpg

A close up of the rod fixing arrangement on the horse
1658016981_f6c1b51cfa.jpg

Then the trimmed rods are bent
2236621683_e6d89f36c3.jpg

Then multiple trimmed and bent rods are loaded onto a jig and fixed together with wire. Note pliers in centre for wire twisting and trimming
1658023523_a572f7d897.jpg

A stack of finished product showing wire fixings
1658024571_edcd96d012.jpg

The draw knife was sharpened by shaving a special limestone block onto a piece of wood secured to the horse
1658881294_a9c7f7a3a0.jpg

And then sharpened using the abrasion of the limestone dust
1658020019_9c64c42d8b.jpg

He has some decent contracts with winemakers who still insist on using these traditional barrel hoops instead of iron, which it has to be said is far cheaper and more durable. Good for them! He makes these things pretty much full time and as a result has contracts with a range of local woodsmen to buy whole coupes. He had a massive store of rods and seasons them for ages before use.

Any notion of health and safety (and PC police) was refreshingly absent. Pastis was much in evidence, though only after the job was done ;) The speed and skill shown here was beguiling as it so often is with quality craftsmen, and very safe. Minimal tools well used and worn, doing the right job; and great order in a workshop that appears on first viewing to be chaotic.

BTW, this is what I was staying in most of the time. Very wet summer but tent was happily dry :)
2237536644_3b0eb9c8fe.jpg

Chris

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Very nice set of picture's
Can I ask please, am I right in thinking that his device to hold the lath's for draw knifing works like a cam (ie when he puls on the lath it swings the horse head down and the harder he pulls on it the tighter it grip's? I wondered what's holding the rods firm, he isnt pressing with his fet like on an english shaving horse
I love the limestone and wood sharpening system. I just flatted all my jappanease water stone's today andended up with 5 grade's of slurry to use as grinding'stropping compounds

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Actually there is nothing like that. The split rods are held by a simple wedge arrangement as you can see in a couple of the photos. Nothing else. The wedge does bite harder as he pulls though. He moves the rod into several different positions and works on both ends to finish the job. Chris

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Really interesting post Mayfly. I had never heard of the Feuillardiers before. Glad to see some people still make a living using old skills and crafts. H&S would have hissy fits with that circular saw blade. Good on him. And I bet he still has all his fingers.....:D

Hey :eek: , just become a native! 1000 posts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE