Kydex sheath for Golok

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Freightdog

Dec 28, 2020
Warwickshire
I got a Martindale Golok for Christmas and would like to have a go at making a kydex sheath for it. The supplied one is very basic and doesn't lend itself to being carried.
Any hints on what thickness kydex I should use and the best way to go about making one?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We had Kydex sheaths made for our goloks when we went into the jungle.
We used 2mm thick i think and bright orange.
Not sure i have any photos of them, we gave them to the tribesmen when we left.
we carried them using the fairly loose string around the waist method and letting them hang down on the side - like an Hollywood cowboy except on the off side so it's a cross draw. It's the classic way of carrying a parang in Borneo. the locals could draw the knife, slice the branch or vine in the way and re sheathe all in one movement and without breaking step!
Worked brilliantly.
Lots of videos on YT about how to work Kydex.
Make a pattern from cardboard or something to work out the kinks.
Kydex is quite forgiving as you can have another go if you don't get it right, just keep on heating it up and trying again.
I used my cooker grill to soften normally. works fine but it can make the plastic bubble if it gets too hot so watch it.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Freightdog

Dec 28, 2020
Warwickshire
Thanks buckshot, I'll order some 2mmm and have a go. I didn't realise you could reheat/reform it, that gives me some confidence knowing that if I mess it up, I can have another go.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Yeah it's quite forgiving in that respect.
It might be an idea to have a go at something smaller to start with though. trying to mold a piece big enough to round a golok might be a challenge as a first project

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm always surprised that the makers out there don't advertise upgraded sheathes for generic main stream blades - Mora , Golok , Leatherman etc

Reactions: Madriverrob

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Alternative to moulding Kydex.

This is something I did with some UK sourced orange Kydex, an A3 size panel. Not the bright orange that is sold in the US for sheaths, pity!

Regarding direction of the edge, having used the polycarbonate one in the jungle, I realised that it needs the blade edge down if used with pack belt with pockets. Too easy to slice a pocket with edge up carry, even if that is how the locals do it, and it works better when you don't have a pack on.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I use a cheap hot air paint stripper. Two pairs of cotton gloves from the pharmacy to protect hands and allow adjustment of hot Kydex.

Freightdog

Dec 28, 2020
Warwickshire
Thanks for all the hints, I'll order some kydex this weekend. The Golok has a fairly straight blade so hopefully won't be too difficult to form round.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE