Kuksas

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They are all good. Very tidy tool finish which beats sanding, every time.
Maybe post a picture of your repertoire of carving tools for these?
I'm sure there's many would like to have a go it this.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Very nice work.

Is there a secret to avoiding splits? So far every birch effort of mine has cracked beyond recovery. I'm planning to learn with Wooden Tom in the near future, so he should put me right. Meanwhile, any suggestions welcomed.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While straight-grained and knot-free green birch is an absolute dream to carve, you need to dry a big piece
and be prepared to lose a lot to cracking. I expect at least 6-8" loss at each beam end.

OTOH, birch burl, if you can find such a growth,
has extremely tangled grain which has no planes of weakness to split along.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, alder is used by most native carvers for masks.
It is common to keep the carving in water until finished. This usually allows the
wood to go from green to dry as it is thinned in the carving process.
Alder changes from cheese to bone when it dries.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice work.

Is there a secret to avoiding splits? So far every birch effort of mine has cracked beyond recovery. I'm planning to learn with Wooden Tom in the near future, so he should put me right. Meanwhile, any suggestions welcomed.

All i do is make sure the central pith and at least a couple of the adjacent growth rings are removed, seems to work for me, i don't dry them in bags, plastic or paper, once roughed out i just leave them on top of a wardrobe in a warm but not hot room to dry, cant honestly remember the last time i had one split

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
While straight-grained and knot-free green birch is an absolute dream to carve, you need to dry a big piece
and be prepared to lose a lot to cracking. I expect at least 6-8" loss at each beam end.
OTOH, birch burl, if you can find such a growth,
has extremely tangled grain which has no planes of weakness to split along.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, alder is used by most native carvers for masks.
It is common to keep the carving in water until finished. This usually allows the
wood to go from green to dry as it is thinned in the carving process.
Alder changes from cheese to bone when it dries.
I've found an ash that was knocked down by a huge Scots Pine when it fell. I've made a spatula out of a shard and have cut a foot of major branch with the idea of using it for a cup. I will try the idea of keeping it in water.
Right now I have a day off coming up so I may try to get it done in a day then soak it, then dry it slowly in the garage.
Thanks for the info.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
All i do is make sure the central pith and at least a couple of the adjacent growth rings are removed, seems to work for me, i don't dry them in bags, plastic or paper, once roughed out i just leave them on top of a wardrobe in a warm but not hot room to dry, cant honestly remember the last time i had one split
Ok. That is interesting as I've always kept them outside the heated house - as noted in my reply to Robson Valley. Maybe I should just do it then leave it - if you follow me.
Thanks.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ok. Any more details, please? How much sugar to water? Boil how long?
I'll try any ideas.
Thanks.

Simmer for a couple of hours. I do not know how much sugar.

I do not know what the sugar does to the wood even. All I know is that one guy told me that years ago back in Sweden.

Reindeer antler they place in a brook for several month, cut up in large pieces , then expose to the sun for several months again.

It was a Same artist.

Personally I harvest Birch when it is winter, so less sap in the wood. Not much cracks when it dries, and maybe it works in UK too, specially now when you have cold weather?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE