Kuksa.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I wanted another Kuksa a bit bigger than the one i have been using for the past few years ,I cut this birch on sunday and roughed it out in the wood ,Not nearly finished i will let it dry out in a plastic bag i think this is what u do?I will put some pics up when all the fine carving and sanding is done ,i intend to put Reindeer antler in the rebated bit on the handle(Thank you Biker)Hopefully it wont split .:(
Picture3447.jpg

Picture3462.jpg

Picture3461.jpg

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
If it's in a plastic bag keep an eye on it in case it goes mouldy. Although this can sometimes add some nice spalting if caught right.
Look forward to the finished photos.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The boiling in salt water is a modern thing AFAIK to seaon wood rapidly for commercial purposes.
It looks a bit thick to and thats what may lead to it splitting. I would suggest keeping it in a paper bag to allow it breath a little it will not dry in a plastic bag just sweat and go mouldy.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
The boiling in salt water is a modern thing AFAIK to seaon wood rapidly for commercial purposes.
It looks a bit thick to and thats what may lead to it splitting. I would suggest keeping it in a paper bag to allow it breath a little it will not dry in a plastic bag just sweat and go mouldy.
Yes it is still thick i thought it was better to leave it a bit thicker until dry ?I could be wrong though .

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
In that middle photo it looks like the heart of the tree runs through the handle. If so it will definitely split somewhere.
I would work it as much as you can while green, it's a lot easier and will dry much quicker when you're done.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
In that middle photo it looks like the heart of the tree runs through the handle. If so it will definitely split somewhere.
I would work it as much as you can while green, it's a lot easier and will dry much quicker when you're done.
where should the heart run through?

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
where should the heart run through?

As wood shrinks mostly around it's circumference it's best to avoid the heart completely. The first few years growth can be different to the rest of the tree too, so if your wood comes from near the base of the tree it's best to chop a bit more off from the middle. Always split a log in half to start with...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE