Kuksa Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I am looking for some advice from you good people. I have just about finished my first Kuksa,
and am wondering what to put on it as a finish.
In the past i have treated my spoons by soaking them overnight in walnut oil, and have been pleased with the results and i was wondering if it was suitable to finish my Kuksa in the same way?

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I started a thread to ask a similar question, why not have a gander:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35402

Traditionally they are treated with salt before being hollowed, but as for the finish I have never been sure. I think the hand machined ones you see on sale may be treated with paraffin as well. Perhaps traditionally they were left untreated apart from the salt. Either way walnut oil should be fine I reckon. I haven't yet used walnut oil but it might be wise not to soak them in it for that long and instead wipe them with it a few times.

Hopefully there will be some more knowledgeable responses!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yes, finish the kuksa in the same way - walnut oil is a great finish. Make sure the wood has enough time to dry first though. A kuksa is usually a bit chunkier than a spoon so would be best left for a few days before oiling.
Nicola

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Thanks for the advice folks. Will go with the walnut oil, as said have used it on my spoons and was happy with the finish wanted to check though before i treated my kuksa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE