Kuksa from a burr

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Made using a birch burr that was at the top of a youngish tree as part of a thinning operation I did recently.

The growth inside was normal grain though with out all the faces and knots, but I went with the natural shape, carved quick and dried it slow in chippings then a part open paper bag. Luckily it's not cracked! :D

More pics here http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011/06/kuksa.html

100_3128.jpg

Addo :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a beautiful bit of work :D
The photos really show the curves :) and the grain is only going to mellow and glow richer with use and age, isn't it ?

Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
Toddy

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the replies all.

I look forward to the grain changing over time. A dash of oil on the outside now and then and beverage in the inside :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Certainly will, Laphroaig later with mature cheddar and crackers mmmmmmm

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Stunning............I've got a section of tree trunk (which I " recuperated" a few years ago from a local who had nothing better to do than cut down a mature hedgerow oak for firewood)..which has a lovely burr, (right size too),along the top edge, just crying out to be made into a kuska. Thanks to craftsmen like you, showing your incredible work, I can feel the urge comming on to give it a go.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
very nice work there matey, how long did it take to carve start to finish?

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I guess a couple of hrs for the outside axe, knife, and auger, same for the inside gouging and probably 1 hr fine carving and sanding. Quick oil, and a windy day and a bit to dry.

Took my time drying it after the main work was done to try and have a split free one this time so that and stopping and starting around other jobs slowed things a bit.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Stunning............I've got a section of tree trunk (which I " recuperated" a few years ago from a local who had nothing better to do than cut down a mature hedgerow oak for firewood)..which has a lovely burr, (right size too),along the top edge, just crying out to be made into a kuska. Thanks to craftsmen like you, showing your incredible work, I can feel the urge comming on to give it a go.

Thanks for that. I've only made a few so no expert really.
Go for it! The Oak, it might be tough going if seasoned, but I've used seasoned Ash for one no problems, just a gentle tap with a baton on the gouge instead of just pushing and some way of supporting the piece like a clamp onto the handle part over a chopping block or sturdy bench.

Greenwood is much easier though for a first go, half a 6" Birch log or something easy to get.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE