Kukri for Bushcraft use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
If Varusteleka were actually bothered they could check age no problem - hennie haynes manages, knives and tools manage, euro knife and lamnia manage too. Anyone buying using a credit card is automatically over 18 - I offered to pay that way and also email proof of age but they werent interested, and they can get the courier to do an age check as well on delivery. There is even age verification available online, I received a knife checked that way last week. Simple truth IMHO is after speaking to them they just cant be bothered, too much trouble for the potential quantity of sales.
Having just bought a knife from H H and gone through their proof-of-age app which was not too much hardship, I agree with the ‘can’t-be-bothered’ attitude.
S

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Has anyone tried to buy a sharpie from Finland within the last 2 months (non Leka)? In many cases domestic delivery is somewhat easier than international.

It is quite possible though that UK market is not big enough to bother. Have to ask further.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
The question you asked Forest fella can attract many different answers as there are so many different cutting and chopping tools and instruments to choose from . I personally think it all comes down to personal choice from either a practical use or aesthetics point of view . when you think of a cutting or chopping tool used in a bushcraft / Forest / jungle scenario there are as I say quite a number of varying styles such as Golocks , parangs , machetes , axes , khukuris as well as many locally made implements . I personally like the aesthetics of the historical khukuri and own probably around eight very well made traditional and genuine Nepalese khukuris which were also made to my specifications from well tempered and heat treated steel with razor sharp edges but I dont particularly think khukuris are the best tool for the job . A khukuri will perform many bushcraft tasks but so will other tools , as I said its just that I prefer the khukuri for general bushcraft duties .
anyway you cannot go wrong with GGK (Great Gurkha Khukuris) , Kailash Blades who can guarantee a really great custom made or off the shelf khukuri if that is your final choice . Most of my khukuris are hollow ground to help reduce weight and aid balance and depending on the length of the blade itself I always dictated the thickness I wanted . Think what your main uses of the tool you eventually choose .

Reactions: Minotaur

Swampy99

Jun 8, 2022
Australia
Look at Khukri House knives. I have got two from them sent to Australia with no problem. Also there are many shops in the Thamel region of Kathmandu that sell them. If you are going or have a mate visiting they can get one bringing it back through customs isn't a problem Ive ever experienced.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I made 15 or so, 12 inch blades, and I use one as often as I can at home for wood chopping, and branch trimming.

Used it a couple of times in the bush for the same chopping and trimming work, and even sliced a few tomatoes, after a quick sharpen wih a carbide rod.

Reactions: ESpy

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
If Varusteleka were actually bothered they could check age no problem - hennie haynes manages, knives and tools manage, euro knife and lamnia manage too. Anyone buying using a credit card is automatically over 18 - I offered to pay that way and also email proof of age but they werent interested, and they can get the courier to do an age check as well on delivery. There is even age verification available online, I received a knife checked that way last week. Simple truth IMHO is after speaking to them they just cant be bothered, too much trouble for the potential quantity of sales.

They are a bit svampen with orders because a lot of people in on active duty, the reserve and in TA in a bunch of countries ordering stuff quit suddenly. A lot of stuff also go directly to Ukraine. My guess is they solve the problem somehow when more important stuff cool down as UK is a big marken.

My best chopper was the front end of the blade from a kukri. I chopped the handle of and put a new handle on the narrow bit of he blade. Front heavy, curved edge and the blade still at an angle to the handle. I lost it but if I ever feel the need for a smalish chopper I would make/order one again.
For larger stuff I would like to try a Skrama someday

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I often use a Kukri style blade if I know I may have to cut tent pegs, clear undergrowth or other such tasks. It's only to save the edge on my belt knife usually, but in a way it bridges the gap between belt knife and a Hatchet/Axe.
Plain 440 C stainless, rubber grips. I've had it since Noah ran the Ark aground, but it still holds an edge and is a really handy tool.
12 inch blade about 1/4 inch thick, weight is well forward in the blade.

Any idea what blade that is? The old Blackjack Mamba perhaps?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got the Condor K-Takt kukri, and I really like it.
Full tang with butt plate, very secure and comfortable in the hand, chops really well.
Very secure sheath too.
I'll have it with me at the Moot again this year.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
They are a bit svampen with orders because a lot of people in on active duty, the reserve and in TA in a bunch of countries ordering stuff quit suddenly. A lot of stuff also go directly to Ukraine. My guess is they solve the problem somehow when more important stuff cool down as UK is a big marken.

My best chopper was the front end of the blade from a kukri. I chopped the handle of and put a new handle on the narrow bit of he blade. Front heavy, curved edge and the blade still at an angle to the handle. I lost it but if I ever feel the need for a smalish chopper I would make/order one again.
For larger stuff I would like to try a Skrama someday
If I need a 'chopper' I use an axe, even a small one like GBs Wildlife Hatchet does a better job than a khukuri. IMHO.!!

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
I've used khukris for camping since the mid 90's, truly a muti-use tool! Never cared for hatchets or axes. I do like the looks of Origin Knives Khukri, out of O1 steel AND it's a one man shop in the UK.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
But , as a potential counter argument , you then need TWO tools to carry. :)
One being a small belt knife weighing 3oz ?? Have you tried to split logs with a kukri, mine tends to bounce off anything other than very soft wood,... and by the time I've added my Pocketboy its three tools anyway and I have no problem with that. Add my backpack and its lots to carry, but thats the name of the game isnt it? Who goes off into the woods with just one item and nothing else. Apart from Ed Stafford

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE