Kukri for Bushcraft use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've had 2 Kukri's in the past but I never used them so sold them.
But I'm thinking of buying 1 for Bushcraft use and I'd like to get a point in the right direction.
Cheers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've tried using one but to be honest the slightly pointed style of pommel bit just doesn't agree with me.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I would recommend getting one with a full tang. I have one with a traditional rat tail tang, vibrations can quite brutal when doing serious chopping. It’s a beautiful khukuri though, I bought from Kailash Blades (they make them to order, so you do have to wait a couple of months, although they keep you updated with photos of the process).

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Had a kukri since 1979, got it off a Gurkha in Belize, still use it from time to time, I wrapped the handle with epoxy resin and para cord to make it thicker for my hand to grip better and never had a problem.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There are better tools for all round use, the Kukri is an out and out chopper. If that’s your aim, then it’s ideal. Both Lofty Wiseman and Wilkinson took the forward weighted Kukri style blade and adapted it to be more useful.

Personal recommendation for a heavy duty chopper with enough finesse for finer tasks would be the full size Varusteleka Skrama. It has plenty forward weight, flat edge for scraping, and a section by the handle that’s ground to a shallow bevel for fine work.

I know what you like about the Kukri, it’s an attractive thing, but having owned a few, it’s not really a bushcraft knife IMO.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The only Kukri I have is a nasty tourist wallhanger, however you go back to the origins of the Kukri and why would you not use a decent one for bushcraft? For my goto chopper I have a Condor Lochnessmuk with a reprofiled blade that has similar characteristics to a Kukri. The fun of it for me was buying the bare blade, filing the blade to my satisfaction, making a leather handle and a sheath that may not be the most beautiful in the world but are individual to me, and that is what it is all about.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Long time ago I asked on an Am. forum that which kukri for camping and trekking. The answer was a "Sirupate 15 inch", that is one of the lightest types and shorter than the military one. Never got to get one but one of these days ...

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
There are better tools for all round use, the Kukri is an out and out chopper. If that’s your aim, then it’s ideal. Both Lofty Wiseman and Wilkinson took the forward weighted Kukri style blade and adapted it to be more useful.

Personal recommendation for a heavy duty chopper with enough finesse for finer tasks would be the full size Varusteleka Skrama. It has plenty forward weight, flat edge for scraping, and a section by the handle that’s ground to a shallow bevel for fine work.

I know what you like about the Kukri, it’s an attractive thing, but having owned a few, it’s not really a bushcraft knife IMO.
Unfortunately Varusteleka have stopped supplying products to Uk customers due to problems with British customs and proving age. I tried to order one and got knocked back. Hey ho!!

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I don't want it for Whittling it's just for a change from my usual Pack carry tools.
And trust me when I say I've got alot of the other knives / tools mentioned and more.
Hence just asking about the Kukri.
Cheers

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Unfortunately Varusteleka have stopped supplying products to Uk customers due to problems with British customs and proving age. I tried to order one and got knocked back. Hey ho!!
I just chatted with customer service in Varusteleka. This is a change than came 1-2 months ago. So it is true, they don´t ship anything with a sharp blade to UK.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I own a couple of Himalayan Imports and a Condor Heavy Duty Kukri or Alan Kay fame. The HI's are all wall hangers, but the Condor lives near the fireplace - I have beat the snot of of that one for kindling and splitting smaller blocks and its thicker edge holds up fine.

I really like that one and would not hesitate to bring it along on a trip. For crafting it makes a passable draw-knife and for shelter building it works good as well.

I think that there are so many good knives and tools out nowadays that it just comes down to personal preference.

-Emile

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got a Kershaw locking folder on the desk beside me. Maybe 1980? I'm not out any more but the knife certainly brings back many memories of big and little hunts.

Buy yourself a good knife. Use it for all sorts of tasks. Some tools are much more of a pleasure to use than others. Why, I can't say but you just feel it, whether it be a shotgun or a cleaver.

Reactions: eraaij

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I just chatted with customer service in Varusteleka. This is a change than came 1-2 months ago. So it is true, they don´t ship anything with a sharp blade to UK.
Sounds like a UK store should see if they can get a shipment in.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There was a recent addition to the law on purchasing knives and corrosives putting the responsibility further with the company selling them. It’s a no brainer for Varusteleka to cut that small segment of their business with the U.K.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I checked with Leka a few days ago, the reason for no-knives-to-UK is the age check as somebody assumed. Apparently not only when buying but the real problem is when delivering.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I often use a Kukri style blade if I know I may have to cut tent pegs, clear undergrowth or other such tasks. It's only to save the edge on my belt knife usually, but in a way it bridges the gap between belt knife and a Hatchet/Axe.
Plain 440 C stainless, rubber grips. I've had it since Noah ran the Ark aground, but it still holds an edge and is a really handy tool.
12 inch blade about 1/4 inch thick, weight is well forward in the blade.

Reactions: eraaij

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I checked with Leka a few days ago, the reason for no-knives-to-UK is the age check as somebody assumed. Apparently not only when buying but the real problem is when delivering.
If Varusteleka were actually bothered they could check age no problem - hennie haynes manages, knives and tools manage, euro knife and lamnia manage too. Anyone buying using a credit card is automatically over 18 - I offered to pay that way and also email proof of age but they werent interested, and they can get the courier to do an age check as well on delivery. There is even age verification available online, I received a knife checked that way last week. Simple truth IMHO is after speaking to them they just cant be bothered, too much trouble for the potential quantity of sales.

Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE