Kovea Alpine Pot ( stove )

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
has anyone had or used this cooking system, as it seems to be good and at a reasonable price????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kovea-Alp...211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d779734b

its this or a jet boil for me, any advise on both systems would be great as i cant seem to make my mind up, its just for me for day walks and weekend walking/camping trips, for heating water for brews and boil in the bag...

many thanks.

chris.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never seen those before Chris, good find

I have the JB Sol Ti and love it for fast no messing boil ups, useless for anything like cooking but perfect for brews and dehydrated meals.

I'd be interested to see the weight of those, I might have missed it. I see the review in the link is from 08 so things might have changed by now, they claim the Kovea to be more fuel efficient than the JBs back then, that would be one consideration.

I can't tell if the mug/pot has the fins on the bottom like a JB, the Sol Ti boils 500ml in around 2.5 minutes, the combination of a thin ti pot and the fins really work well.

Just found the weight, 524g plus the weight of a canister, kind of middle ground I guess, not exactly heavy nor is it light.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks Rich that was quick....:)

the weight does not bother me, its the boil time etc that that i was after, in a nice compact package...the Kovea does not use fins but small holes ( i think ) containing the heat inside the pot base...

it looks good, and seems to be a little more robust, which for me is good...;) lol

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
right then, after much searching and looking on the tinter web i have decided against the Kovea stove, the main reason was that i could not find many suppliers, thinking on that and what would happen if anything broke on the stove where or how would i get parts etc etc...

so i got my self this instead

images
its lighter than the Kovea, worked out to cost less as i did not have to pay postage, it was £57 delivered and claims to use less gas than the jetboil, so all in all was worth looking around for a bit, we shall see how it turns out though when i get home...

it claims boil times the same as the jetboil but burns for 9 minuits longer with the 100g gas canister, food for thought...it is the same weight at about 360 grams as the jetboil, the container/pot is slightly smaller being 900ml and about an inch shorter than the 1 liter jetboil pot, but thats cool with me, cant wait to test it out and do a review when i get home....:)

regards.

chris.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good choice Chris

I don't think I'd buy another Jetboil just yet, they've had problems with the fins detaching and melting and the last I heard they weren't doing anything about it, that's for existing customers with faults and new releases. So far my Sol Ti has been superb, fingers crossed it lasts me a while.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ive got three Jetboils and with the exception of the peizo breaking on the original i havent had a seconds bother.
Must say i do like the look of the Primus one though.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
dear bob,

the only stove is a remote liquid feed stove for its low pressure/temprature capability. If you must have one with bells and whistles on try the primus eta pack lite. 600g trail weight is 150 more than an average jetboil, but it simmers and you can cook a propper meal in the one litre pot, unless you are just out to boil water. Bye the bye, whats the weight of the kovea alpine ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE