Knocked these up this afternoon.. wood buttons.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the comments and suggestions chaps.
Regarding what oil to use, I've already put a couple of coats of quick drying tung oil on them. I've used this before on other projects and it gives the wood a really shiny, grippy finish. I've also got the 100% non quick drying stuff (bestwood) that does not leave the wood shiny, and not so grippy. I guess it must be the additives and drying agents that are the cause? but it does seem to penetrate more than the quick drying brand.

I see Danish oil mentioned, and I've checked out the Bestwood stuff on amazon, which is 50% tung oil ? Surely that it inferior to pure tung oil? :confused:

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Leave them full thickness, don't drill the thread holes. Cut 3 short lengths of round bamboo satay skewer, anchored and glued into one face.
You can give them away as "stool samples."
Ahem.. Are you implying my buttons are crap? ;)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
quietone: not in the least. The wood figure in your buttons is outstanding.
I find that diamond willow is very uneven in appearance.
I have a use for what might otherwise be "waste" wood.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Twas a joke, you mentioned 'stool samples' I mentioned 'crap'
Sorry, maybe too subtle. :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah yes, it does cover the ground. Polished sections of coproliths would look nice, too.

Long time ago, I was in a little museum. Odds & sods kind of place.
There was an old, old coat. I'm positive that the buttons were cross-sections of some sort of nuts, like walnuts (but very green & dried?).
We have no hardwood nut-producing trees where I live. Might be something to look at.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Ah yes, it does cover the ground. Polished sections of coproliths would look nice, too.

Long time ago, I was in a little museum. Odds & sods kind of place.
There was an old, old coat. I'm positive that the buttons were cross-sections of some sort of nuts, like walnuts (but very green & dried?).
We have no hardwood nut-producing trees where I live. Might be something to look at.

So were the buttons fashioned using the edible part as well as the harder shell ? Can understand the shell being tough enough to work with, but surely the nut itself would detach after time, even if green and dried? Interesting that.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Leave them full thickness, don't drill the thread holes. Cut 3 short lengths of round bamboo satay skewer, anchored and glued into one face.
You can give them away as "stool samples."

Ahem.. Are you implying my buttons are crap? ;)

Twas a joke, you mentioned 'stool samples' I mentioned 'crap'
Sorry, maybe too subtle. :)

I'm a little slow! I get it now RV, you mean stool samples as in miniature stools??? I was picturing you canadians had some sort of three pronged contraption for removing stools, maybe from the lav or "holding" them without your hands for medical tests that we don't use over here.

I'm going to hang my head in shame all day :eek: :eek: :eek:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
They look wonderful! This inspired me to try to make my own buttons. The pattern in the wood is beautiful!

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
They look wonderful! This inspired me to try to make my own buttons. The pattern in the wood is beautiful!
Thanks Arya. You'll have to show us your buttons when they're done.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
your buttons could make a poor man feel rich and give no brass but buttons a new take. cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They look even better sewn on and go with the whole smockyness of it all. Top job.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE