Knitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
OK, I must be going through 'The change' :D but I was watching T.V last night and they had one of these programs on that they use as a filler for about 10 mins between the excreable shows. Anyway, this was on wool and its role in fashion blah blah. I dont know why, but I got this sudden urge to learn how to knit and make myself a scarf or hat.

Does anyone do this?

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I know how to do basic knitting and have tried it a few times but never finished anything.
Aparently knitting your own hats and stuff is all the rage if your a snowboarder.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Thanks guys, turns out my wife can knit (who knew? :) )

She didn't even bat an eyelid when I said I wanted to learn, must be wearing her down lol.

I think I will go for a nice thick hat for my first project, being a baldy the old noggin gets cold in the winter time :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Simon E said:
Thanks guys, turns out my wife can knit (who knew? :) )

She didn't even bat an eyelid when I said I wanted to learn, must be wearing her down lol.

I think I will go for a nice thick hat for my first project, being a baldy the old noggin gets cold in the winter time :)

Good choice. :)

If you knit it too big and use real wool,you can felt it once it's made. It would make it almost windproof.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I tried knitting a couple of times, usually get very very angry before any real achiviements are made. So if you have any kind of temperament, you maybe should let the missus do the knitting

But knitted wool wear is great. High weight-warmth ratio, fire retardent, silent and keeps you warm when moist/wet. A thick knitted sweater is my all time wilderness garnment (well, after my anorak), would always choose it before a fleece jacket. Knitted mittens as liners for windproof mittens are great! And socks are chapter for themselves. A knitted hat is hard to beat as well, and easy to make. Another thing a started using a couple of years ago, and actually made myself, and which I can recommend as a beginners project, is wristwarmers. It's lika a tube with half a glove-finger for the thumb. Lovely in the autumn.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
the mrs knits and has knittted me some fantastic stuff. SHe has sworn that she's never gonna knit me another jumper tho, apparently I'm too large and tall and it takes too long :lmao:

Still, I've just scored some fleeces for her to try her hand at spinning so maybe I can wear her down. I quite fancy a gansey.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
BorderReiver said:
Good choice. :)

If you knit it too big and use real wool,you can felt it once it's made. It would make it almost windproof.
30 (O God) years ago on a army mountaineering course in Norway I bought some wool mitts and socks that were made that way. Apparently they were made twice as big or something and then boiled to death or something and they come out like the most tightly laid felt you can imagine. Not totally waterproof but damn close and warm even when completly soaked wading through snowmelt streams etc. Not worn out either.
The technique might be worth investigating by a knitter.
P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE