Knife Work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
There seems to be a technique in knifework whereby the hand is brought forward on the blade, with the fingers wrapped around the belly of the knife. Mors seemed to use this hold alot when doing the popular bark carvings (although it was so fast I had trouble keeping track of the various holds that he was using). I have tried this technique when using blunt knives, but it seems like a surefire way to cut yourself across the fingers when using a sharper blade.

Any comments on this? I've found fingers below the blade can be avoided, but it is not as comfortable. I understand no pressure is put on the fingers that touch the sharp edge, but the slightest slip I imagine would be quite painful.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think you mean what I would call choking up on the blade.

I use the technique quite a lot for detail work and little pressure is used. I've never cut myself in this way. You don't actually hold the edge of the knife but use your bottom fingers to hold the front of the handle.

If I remember I'll take some pictures for you.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I've used this technique and it's fine so long as you save it for fine cuts rather then once that take a lot of force. Be sure you keep your hands and the blade clean and not slippy!
It's possible to grip the sides of the blade, rather than put your fingers round in front of the cutting edge too, if that gives you more confidence.

Either way, it keeps your loose thumb away from the cutting edge, which is the important bit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE