Knife Storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I am aware that it is not good to store a knife in it's sheath when not in regular use, but so far I've not been able to come up with a better safe/secure storage solution. It was recommeded to me for 01 blades that they should be stored out of the sheath, wrapped in olive oil soaked kitchen paper - What/how do you all store your knives? Are you aware of any good products on the market to store knives in safely/securely?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The absolute favourite protective coating of American custom knifemakers is something called Renaissance Wax (or Ren-wax). Much coveted, it demands high prices in the US. For once, we Brits get the benefit, cos it's a "Made in England" product, infact it was formulated for the British Museum to protect their collection of ancient (carbon steel) swords & armour. Good eh?

You can get it here:
http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries31.html

Or one of any number of places. Just get the small 65ml sampler pot, that'll last you for ages.

The above company also make a range of acid free carboard boxes - bit extreme, but for those who've paid $5000 for a custom knife, it may be worth it. For your humble woodlore or bison - anything really, a shoebox or whatever. Oil soaked rags is definitely OTT though. :wink:

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
That's £3.30 for the wax, £7.50 delivery and 17.5% VAT on top.
Are they flexible on delivery costs, 'cos that's an outrageous markup?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
qweeg500 said:
That's £3.30 for the wax, £7.50 delivery and 17.5% VAT on top.
Are they flexible on delivery costs, 'cos that's an outrageous markup?

Well, it should last a lifetime though.

Before I found out it is made in the UK, I bought a 65ml pot from Texas Knife Supplies. I think it was $14US for the wax, then international shipping, then duty, then VAT - now that's a horrendous markup. :wink: :-D

Click below...

google search for renaissance wax

You should be able to find something cheaper.

Allmi

Nov 10, 2003
Bornheim/Germany
I use Ballistol Gun oil, to protect the blades and even wooden handles. Works on stag handles as well. For my leather handles and sheaths i use bee wax of some sort. Then store my knives in a dry place. Never had any rust problems since about 25 years. The Ballistol is pretty cheap to buy over here and you can get it at about every hardware- or gun shop. Doesn't smell very good, but that's IMHO.

Cheers
Allmi

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
On the Renaissance Wax front:

http://www.tiranti.co.uk do the 65ml for £4.41 and the 200ml for £7.93 Delivery is likely to be either £2.38 or £3.24 depending upon weight.

Fortunately their Theal (Reading) shop is on my way home from work...

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Recomendation for Tiranti's
They don't take your credit card details online, they confirm those details over the phone. Spoke to them lunch time and the order was in my hand next morning. Nice people to do busines with.

What was I buying ? Ren Wax and 1200 grit paper. :-D

Jon

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Legia spray may be a good choice. It is made by Browning, whose shotguns are of very superior quality but the barrels are regarded as a bit more rust prone than some.

I've never had anything rust with just the tiniest smear of Napier gun oil. They also make a 'vapour phase inhibitor' (whatever that is) sachet that you keep in your cabinet/cupboard of precious steel things.

S

Strider

if you want to keep the storgae area youve chosen dry...then a good and cheap alternative is to put some of those Silica-Gel sachets you get in say shoe boxs n stuff in your cabinet/whatever...
They'll soak up moisture from the surrounding atmosphere... don't put them touching your knife though, may have interesting consequences.
Not sure how long these'l last..but quite a while.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Strider said:
... Silica-Gel sachets .....Not sure how long these'l last..but quite a while.

I think you can just "dry them out" after they stop absorbing water by drying them on the radiator for a while. I'm not 100% on this but I seem to remember that the silica changes colour when it's wet so you might have to cut the packs open to check them.

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Stew said:
Strider said:
... Silica-Gel sachets .....Not sure how long these'l last..but quite a while.

I think you can just "dry them out" after they stop absorbing water by drying them on the radiator for a while. I'm not 100% on this but I seem to remember that the silica changes colour when it's wet so you might have to cut the packs open to check them.

Stew @ 8 hours inna winter over a "mostly on" radiator, equates to the other 16 hours in a gun cabinet :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE