Knife shopping

Nov 8, 2008
Hampshire
Hi All

I am in the market for the "perfect" knife. A bushcraft every day carry. I don't want to buy something so personal over the Internet.

i don't know where I can go and shop for such a thing. Can anyone recommend a shop with a decent selection and good knowledge. I am in Hampshire but don't mind an hour drive for somewhere good.

thanks

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi All
I am in Hampshire but don't mind an hour drive for somewhere good.

Maybe best to decide on an idea of realistic budget 1st , IMO you'd be good to go with a Mora but its a bit like Cars , tastes vary and so do prices but they all drive A TO B.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Contradictory terms in a way there. Edc is fine for opening packages etc, every day things, I personally favour a multitool. But realistically for outdoor use you're going to want fixed blade at the very least a good locker

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
There is no such thing as a one off perfect bushcraft knife that will cover all chores, you will need at least 2, and an axe.
Most knife shops won't have a clue and be able to give good advice, if you are wanting something that is truly 'bespoke' you are better off finding a custom maker near to you, and getting one made.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Maybe a bit more than an hour's drive, but what about a trip to the Bushcraft Store in Enfield? They do their own range of folding scandi blade knives that might tick the edc bushcraft box; if not they also do a range of fixed blades. (I've only ever seen one of their folders in real life, and it certainly looked decent)

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2008
Hampshire
Hi All

Thanks for all the helpful comments. In terms of budget I think £150 max. The Bushcraft store in Enfield looks good and is an hour and a half away so I think that's a must to go visit. To try and shed some light regarding the other questions. I am soon to depart on an over landing trip to Thailand so I have saws, tools, multi tools, axes all ready to roll. I was looking for that one special piece that will be with me 24/7 the jack of all trades master of none but is there when you need it and not buried deep in a hold somewhere.

Heenies is also an option, although somewhat further. Do they have a store. I always assumed they were online only?

Thank again

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Contradictory terms in a way there. Edc is fine for opening packages etc, every day things, I personally favour a multitool. But realistically for outdoor use you're going to want fixed blade at the very least a good locker
Why? I do 90% of my 'crafting with a 2.5" penknife.
Hiennies do have a store and would be well worth the drive.
(E.Sussex isn't in Hampshire IIRC)

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Why? I do 90% of my 'crafting with a 2.5" penknife.
Hiennies do have a store and would be well worth the drive.
(E.Sussex isn't in Hampshire IIRC)
Personally outdoors I find non locking blades entirely useless. I put my knives through pretty heavy use though, battonning, using it as a splitting wedge, open cans with it, skinning and game prep, pretty much anything and everything. Depends what you're into. But a fixed blade can do everything an "EDC" can and so much more. I've actually stopped carrying my grasshopper after an eye opening outing. Now it's a multitool instead, looking into a decent SAK though

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
If you are going to visit Heinnies give them a ring before-hand and say what you are after so they can get them out ready for you

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Personally outdoors I find non locking blades entirely useless. I put my knives through pretty heavy use though, battonning, using it as a splitting wedge, open cans with it, skinning and game prep, pretty much anything and everything. Depends what you're into. But a fixed blade can do everything an "EDC" can and so much more. I've actually stopped carrying my grasshopper after an eye opening outing. Now it's a multitool instead, looking into a decent SAK though
Getting a SAK would be a good idea. They have can openers on them.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Personally I would not get a £150 knife for a big trip. On such an expedition you need tools that you do no hesitate to use - even when you know it may damage them or you may lose them. The cheap mora that gets abused will have been more useful than the £150 beauty that stays in it's sheath. 2-3 cheap mora's will be useful, a leatherman with tools even more so. Buy both.

It was a professional yacht skipper who taught me this; he came aboard my boat equipped with multiple £1.50 supermarket serrated veg knives - they cut rope just as well as a fancy knife and you never hesitate to use them when needed.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the days I lead expeds to various points around the globe I always took a Mora. Sometimes the Mora had a custom (by me) handle and or leather sheath (I am not a fan of plastics) sometimes it was bog standard. Sometimes I gave the knife away before coming home.
Backed up with a Leatherman the Mora was the perfect tool for exped work and I had no worries about losing it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE