Knife sharpening jig: my take

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
For all those troublesome non Scandi edges: The knife sharpening jig. A lot of nice solutions out there, I got inspired and made my own:

knife_sharpening_jig.jpg

knife_sharpening_jig_02.jpg

Thanks for looking!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Very interesting, I can see how you adjust the stone for blade thickness, how about angle of sharpening ?, is that by the wing nut and hex head nut on the perforated plate ?

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I set the angle by adjusting the wing nuts on the threaded rod. The perforated plate acts as knife support and can be adjusted up or down as needed.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looking good ^^, very nice system.
Do you feel it has enough rigidity? it looks like an awesome tool although I would be a little hesitant to put my expensive stones in the holder XD
I always love seeing people make their own version and such makes for a great design process, how do you like the performance would there be anything you would do differently the next time?

Yours sincerely an eager Ruud

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Do you feel it has enough rigidity? it looks like an awesome tool although I would be a little hesitant to put my expensive stones in the holder XD

It's rigid enough and if you want it can be clamped to the tabletop. None of my (inexpensive) stones have fallen out yet.

I always love seeing people make their own version and such makes for a great design process, how do you like the performance would there be anything you would do differently the next time?

Usually I never get it right the first time, but this seems to be an exception - (so far) I'm satisfied. I thought of fitting magnets to keep the blade in place, but the jig works fine without - maybe at a later time.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find I have to lift the handle of the knife when sharpening as I get to the knife's tip. Can you do that on your set-up? If so, how?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's nice I like that. Do you.have it marked for setting up different sharpening angles or do you set it up by eye?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I find I have to lift the handle of the knife when sharpening as I get to the knife's tip. Can you do that on your set-up? If so, how?

I do the curve and tip like this:

knife_sharpening_jig_03.jpg

(No usable photo light indoors, many thanks to my brave missus who took this outdoor picture on a rainy Saturday afternoon!)

That's nice I like that. Do you have it marked for setting up different sharpening angles or do you set it up by eye?

Wish I could do it by eye, but I cheat and and use an application on my phone. To save myself from a lot of adjusting I have decided to sharpen most (all?) of my non Scandis to 21 degrees, and while I wait for my eyeballing skills to improve I'm going to use pieces of wood cut to the right angles as helpers.

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Parts list as requested elsewhere:

- Base: Oak, 15 mm x 10 cm x 28 cm.

- Slope: Oak, 15 mm x 8 cm x 28 cm, 22.5 degrees relative to the base.

- Threaded rod: Steel, 8 mm x 30 cm.

- Rod end bearing: Steel, 6 mm.

- Sliding rod: Steel, 6 mm x 50 cm (long screw driver).

- Knife support: Steel nail plate, 6 x 16 cm.

- Rod joint and stone holders: Oak.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE