Knife sharpening in NI

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Evening chaps,

this is directed at all knife owners / users / collectors / nuts in Northern Ireland

I have for some time been looking for someone or a company that will sharpen knives here in NI. I use a Sharpmaker to great affect, getting hair shaving edges on my knives no problems.

However, i occassionally aquire a knife with an edge that is too far gone for me to reclaim with the Sharpmaker and i don't have access to any grinding facitities.

I recently found a guy (Paul) in Newtownards that runs a mobile sharpening service called Razorsharp NI, i know, i know, instant doubts on standards and quality of finish etc etc.

I contacted Paul a couple of weeks ago and explained my obsession with custom knives and my need to reclaim an edge on one of them, what he said was, let me have a look at it, if i don't feel comfortable doing it, i'll tell you and not attempt it......fair enough for me :)

Anyway, a few days later he arrived at the house in his little van with all the sharpening kit on benches in the back, gotta say, it all looked pretty good. He had a look at the knife in question and despite my threats to pull his arms off if he damaged the edge, he was confident that he could do a good job on it.

he had to order a smaller jig just for this knife

fast forward 2 weeks and he came round again tonight ( he kept me informed by phone about the delay in delivery on the new jig so no probs there ) and actually set the sharpening kit up on my garage table, it looks like a standard bench grinder but better :) on one end is a 1000 grit wheel 1.5" wide, on the other is a leather hone wheel. To show what he could do, he put an edge on an old Mora to put my mind at rest

Well, what can i say ?...in 3 minutes he had a perfect 20 degree edge that was honed to a hair popping finish !........very very impressed indeed ! ( especially as i was paceing like an expectant father behind him ! ) as the stone wheel ran at quite low RPM and is in a water bath, very very little heat is generated, not even enough to warm your fingers yet alone burn them

Paul is a great guy to do business with and shares a passion for sharp edges :) I'll not post his mobile number on here but if anyone in NI needs an edge reclaimed, i can recommend this service. Just PM me and i'll pass on his number.

( usual disclaimer, no connection, just a happy customer )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE