Knife selection advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Perhaps you can find something similar in the below link. I have not seen or used one, but people seem to get on with them. And considering the specs and industry-standard heat treatment (they are heat treated in Peters), they are good value items. They sometimes appear in EM forums as a second hand as well.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
A very similar knife if you do not mind the carbon steel.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
A very similar knife if you do not mind the carbon steel.

I like the look of that but does it need to be 5mm thick? Seems to be a trend right now that everything is built to pry open bank vaults.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There's quite a few 5mm knives that have a combination grind on them which makes them terriffic slicers, being relatively thin from mid blade to the edge. The Fallkniven F1 micarta is one example. I understand Alan Wood really uses it too.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Lionsteel M4 is the best fixed blade I ever owned for the money

I just got one in for using as a general do-it-all knife and I am really impressed with the Lionsteel M4!

I also noticed that the protruding back end of the tang is squared now, so it throws a wicked spark. According to Gianni - that is a recent upgrade. Nice.

-Emile

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Build a few knives from old steel. Nothing cosmetic, nothing pretty, about them. Beat the bejeezlies out of them, doing everything from peeling a peach to opening a coconut. I cannot think of a better way to learn what a knife means in your bushcraft. Then, and only then, you know what you want in a bladesmith's creation.

The shapes of the sweeps are everything to wood carver's crooked knives. I repurposed blades and steels to make maybe 2 dozen(?) of my own crooked knives in my own handles.
I learned what I wanted. I learned what I needed.
I've bought a few in the last 5 years. Quite a pleasure.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The knife in the OP doesn't loom to be a kick in the backside off the shape of a Manly Patriot, which comes on D2 for 45 quid.
Not really seeing any downsides to that unless you want a prybar knife you can hit on the spine with a brick in which case just use a chisel.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE