knife scales; micarta vs wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I've only ever handled one knife, which had a burr handle. It was easy to shape and sand, and feels lovely in the hand. I'm in the process of finishing it off with linseed oil, its had a good few coats but still seems quite porous. Im thinking about doing another knife, I like the look of micarta and it looks a more solid material than wood.

I would like to know what the pro's and con's of each material is?

thanks

J

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Micarta
Pros - it's tough and durable
Cons - it's soulless and makes the user look like a survival 'tacticool' wannabe tool.

Wood
Pros - there are some fantastic looking woods out there. Great variety
easier to work
more in the spirit of things - natural materials and all that
Cons - if it hasn't dried properly before fixing it to the knife it'll shrink and could lift from the scales.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Micarta is stable and can look good too, I have an F1 handled with red and black micarta and it looks the mutts! I know its gonna last and still feels good in the hand.
In my opinion you can't beat the look, feel & character of wood but for me something synthetic edges it for a 4 seasons user.

I am a joiner so I'm OK with wood but I know nothing about how Micarta works though as someone else did this for me

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 114

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
When I make my knives using wooden scales, the knife seems to be 'real', and for that reason, i am scared to damage it. When I use micarta, i don't feel that the blade could possibly be sold, so i keep it. When I use micarta knives, they feel like a half- knife. I FEEL LIKE DOCTER FRENKENSTEIN.

Ultimately, wood is good for collectors, micarta for outdoorsmen. There is much more to it, and the competition is much closer, but that is keeping it simple.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for the input guys. Marc that is a seriously lovely knife! Will have to try and meet up this week.

The price is not an issue for the handle, and to be honest I think treating the wood makes the price more balanced too.

does anyone know hoe well wet and dry will stand up to micarta?

p.s. just seen your post ph thanks

ikesdad

Oct 29, 2009
Colorado
Stabilized wood is another option.
Real wood without the worries of moisture absorption.

My personal rule of thumb is wood for carbon blades, micarta for stainless.

I guess it can be a Ford/Chevy thing.

I just bought some micarta scales for a production blade and am anxious to try them out.
I arrived at this decision after the wife put a rosewood handled kinfe in the dishwasher.
Not a pretty sight.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks ikesdad useful info, stabilized wood is indeed another option but (even though I said price wasnt an issue) I notice that they are very expensive scales.

ikesdad

Oct 29, 2009
Colorado
A regular seller on the big auction site has many stabilized wood scales at very reasonable prices.
If that's what you want and he wont ship to the UK, I would be happy to forward.

ikesdad

Oct 29, 2009
Colorado
If you want some elk or deer antler, I can take a look in the backyard to see if I've got anything suitable and not too weathered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE