knife scale liners??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what can i use as scale liners, could i just use some flexible plastic of the correct thickness or polly sheet etc????

help please...

chris.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yep, you could, thin plastic or fibre sheet stuff, if you're thinking of black scales,...yellow looks really good ! :)

theset001.jpg

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i know this is a bit pikey but i was going to use the lid from the biscuit tub, its red/orange and flat, how would you do it Robbi????????

thanks.

chris.....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL !! hell mate don't ask me !!

anything thats reasonably flat would be OK,....the reason for liners is two fold..1, to give a better bond to the steel....wood bonds good to fibre...fibre bonds good to steel...clamp it all up....leave for a day and.....:)

or 2, purely decorative....gorrilla glue the scales to the steel, clamp up for a day......job done.... what do you need liners for ?

got any brass sheet ? that would look good :)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
never used them was going to give it a go see if i can make it look a bit better than standard scales is all......

i will pin them all with brass rod anyway so holding should not be a problem really......

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Might do, I've seen a couple of people offering plastic liners rather than traditional fibre ones. Need to make sure they bond the two materials together, and for plastic they suggest a cyranloate (I can never spell that, superglue!!) rather than epoxy. Someone over on BB gifted me some blue fibre liners which are really nice and I'm happy to pay it forward by mailing them to you FOC. One prob is that I'm away tomorrow for a week and won't be able to ge them to you until about the 21st. If you can wait they're yours if you want them, need to get dims for you etc. Pm me, I'll pick it up whe I get back

Cheers

Alan

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
jobs a fish then.....:)

just need that garage to get grinding, the shed is tiny and full of junk...... get my garage on the first....whhoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

there will be blades, oh yes, there will be blades...........

thanks gents....

chris.. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE