Knife making?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Everything else aside, the internet can be great for finding many ways of doing something, or getting the most up-to-date info, but for where you are in your understanding of forging the internet can't compete with a few good books.

Go find yourself a copy of Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop, and maybe his Wonder of Knifemaking too. They will save you many hours of surfing the web and will be much easier to refer to if you get stuck in the middle of a project.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Make sure you buy a box of good quality sparks for the grinder and some ice making solution for quenching.

:D

i used to use tartan paint to coat my handles but now i have found that elbow grease works best.
a tube of that will work wonders for you mate.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
lets see a pic of where you are up to with your forging mate. - when i first started - i was told to do nails first - then work up from their.

good forging exercises are to make the tools you will need to tend a fire - ie a poker and a rake.

these are a very good place to start as they combine a multitude of forging techniques - you learn hammer control very quickly when doing your first point on round stock.

i also strongly suggest you watch every blacksmithing and knife forging video you can find on the internet.

they have helped me and many others no end.

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE