Knife Making Kit for My Son

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hey tom
The knifemaking kits look quite a good idea although i always think it is best to get the bits yourself and put it together.
There are many suppliers of knifemaking equipment (atlleborough accesories, highlands stickmaker and the site you showed etc etc) and that way you can actually keep your eye out for something interesting to put into the handle - which can be of several woods and combinations of antler etc. you can buy the bolsters to fit blades too - although i just use antler and dont bother with one.
the kits i have previously seen were a little more expensive than this - so maybe its not to bad - and might be easier than trying to source the leather etc urself...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm midway though making a knife with my 13 yo son, and its a great activity/project for us. Weve gone for him designing a shape, cutting a cardboard template, then I bought the steel and we've cut and ground it out, heat treated it. It's now at the handling stage and each time theres been plenty of stuff to learn and go over (usually outdoors in the garden, and requiring a fire and tea) He's planning to do the sheath as well, and is drawing out plans for that as well as a firesteel holder. So I'm hoping he (and me) will have learned a lot and practiced a lot by the time its done. I hope you guys get the same fun out of it as we are..

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I put a you make it kit together some time back with my daughter think that's where I got the bug from shame she now has more interest in makeup etc lol

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think you can go far wrong with a Karesuando kit.

have to agree the components seem very good value for money, got one of these kits and just recently bought the epoxy and some wood dye fro the handle, looking forward to starting it.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The Karesuando kits are very good and thats a good price for one too. My first knife was one of those.

It was difficult getting a few 14 year olds (and some adults) to make thier own but well worth it. I say go for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE