Knife making competition-entrants list and entrys only

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Oiled up it looks way better as the Teak I used really darkens, The western Style sheath is also drying atm so I'll snap a pic of that beauty too ^^
Looking forward to using this knife in my local "wannabe bush"
Yours sincerely Ruud
See ya tomorrow forum ^^

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work mate, :)

Hey Guys,

Finished my knife in the nick of time, But haven't got the chance to make some photo's that do the knife justice, so here are some of the crappy photo's I made before finishing it.
Tommorrow in the afternoon I will post some better pics of the finished knife and that post will also include a whole list of "why did I do that" things.
But till then here is the unfinished, badly photographed, in horrible lighting, Knife:

View attachment 14293View attachment 14294View attachment 14295
Yours sincerely Ruud

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
well done Rudd,
and to all who have stood up above the battlements to be counted and have there skills shown to all
well done and good luck

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Mine will be done soon, but its a day late, so i'll just put it up here, but not enter as that wouldn't be fair. I've tried to get it done it time - believe me i've tried, but alas, the fates decreed it wouldn't be complete. :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Well well well, Dear Gentlemen and Miladies,

Hereby I present you my Knife, Sheath just got finished so pictures of that beauty tomorrow ^^
Lets start at the beginning, I spend a total of 6,30, 2.30 for a long drillbit and 4 euro's for a trainticket about a year ago to get the veneer XD, everything else is salvaged,
The Veneer I use is from a company who make posh office furniture, and They agreed to let me have their offcuts thus I traveled towards them to get it, still have 2 full ski bags of the stuff.
Apart from that delightful story, The mainwood is Teak from an old Closet from my grandparents house, The Blade was created by myself on the 2012 bushmoot under guidance of the handsome Dave Budd.
I burned in the Tang of the blade in the handle after predrilling it, and fixed it with some 2C Epoxy, which I can arrange for free from my School. Enough chitchat.
This was the Knife blade I used and made:

DSC06510.jpg

DSC06511.jpg

Now lets guide you guys and gall through the design:
Beware Pic heavy.

DSC06772_zps9e3623b0.jpg

Behind the knife handle you can see a spread of veneers, upon a bed of Walnut veneer,
The seven layer of veneer in the knife are composed as following: Maple, Beech, Cherry, Walnut, Cherry, Beech, Maple
Which gave the effect I wanted ranging from light to dark, I glued the veneers together and crosscut the Teak and spliced in the Veneer boards.
After this the process of shaping the handle was at hand.
DSC06812_zps7e2f4d15.jpg

I already had a mock up model for the shape of the handle as I want it to be a strictly Right handed knife, as I would be using it as a right handed knife, with 3 available grips: Normal one with the blade facing away from the user ( as you would see in a powercut), The blade facing inwards so towards the user, and the blade pointing down. and this had all to be very comfortable.
This is why the two sides of the knife are not identical, on side of the pommel is sloped the other is not, ensuring a perfect fit for every grip.
DSC06777_zps46a51d7c.jpg

In the powercut grip the ridge on the left side ensures more grip, and prevents slipping, The sloped side gives room for the thumb when the blade is pointing down and makes room for the bottom of the palm when the blade is facing you.
Álso the Spine of the blade was quite rough and I doubted quite sometime to smooth that with a file, and dress it up, but I decide I like the look and I would want to see where I came from once, a First knife that I didnt fancy up the Raw craftsmanship, I just liked that Idea.
And now some more pics to show you the Knife:

DSC06757_zpsab1df0e6.jpg

DSC06759_zps6118d638.jpg

DSC06805_zpse9aa4cc1.jpg

DSC06807_zps52cb4b36.jpg

DSC06810_zps91556290.jpg

DSC06812_zps7e2f4d15.jpg

And to show you the measurements where the Tang of the balde and the handle meet, I feel quite satisfied.
DSC06808_zpse65fef25.jpg

DSC06809_zps719e4973.jpg

Well that is my knife for ya, with the Sheath lurking behind some of the pics, but will post that up tomorrow
Let me know what you guys think, and pointers and tips are always welcome, and fingers crossed XD

And I would like to applaud my mom as the Handsome handmodel XD
Yours sincerely Ruud

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...excellent ruud....most excellent. top work mate and its always good to compliment Sir Dave cos he deserves it bless him! lol....

just a thought....should this thread be neatened up somehow/someway...get all the pics next to each other rather than sprawled out over 3 pages...?

a

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
You did well there Rudd, love the vaneer
I guess it counts as you originally posted the other photos before the competition closed, although as it's not my comp I may be wrong
I like that you used the knife blade you made at the moot too

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....just wanted to point out that casual browsers of the thread may not be aware there are categories therefore that they can/should in fact vote for more than one knife....this could end up causing a massively incorrect outcome....massively.

a

Jan 15, 2012
essex
nice to see you put my knife in, thanks alot.
still never got a reply if i could change it to my ash and rosewood knife.
And a shame on those who wanted an extension on the time and STILL not make a knife, lol.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
The rules did not say i had to put my knife in more than one thread.
ok the last part i said when i was getting death threats from some of the users here. would of been nice if i was asked, at the time people new why i said that.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The rules did not say i had to put my knife in more than one thread.
ok the last part i said when i was getting death threats from some of the users here. would of been nice if i was asked, at the time people new why i said that.

To be fair ... It was made pretty clear.

ne thread posted anyone who has already shown photo of entry please can you repost it in there

Why wait until now to mention it?

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Been busy over xmas, did pop on on the 7th and 8th but no poll was up.
it gets confusing when the rules keep getting changed, dont know what to do and pms not getting a reply to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE