Knife law ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I made afew for mates and they asked me to ask members. I've wore 1 for yr's and as for sharp there a Knapped triangle with 2 notches for lashing. I suppose they could be Sharpen but so could alot of item's.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
It's a stretch to call it an offensive weapon if it's not sharp and you're not using it as one.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Not an issue, asked a police man friend, it is classed as clothing/jewellery. It is the intention and ease of change of use, that makes normal every day items a weapon, I.e. putting the flint arrow head on a stick.

All good, but it is always down to interpretation.

Gra

Reactions: plastic-ninja

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It would clearly be a piece of jewelery and not illegal. All pendants and pin badges have sharp points on the pin used to attach them to clothing. The relevant statute is very badly worded and maked a variety of innocent objects illegal - for example a policeman charging you with the offence for carrying a knife commits the same offence by taking a sharply pointed object out of his pocket to write your details in his notebook! ;)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The act is worded quite correctly, the main point of it was to reduce knife crime, and it had to include pointed instruments that may be used as a weapon. And to curtail the sale of knives to youngsters.
A policeman would not be committing a crime by taking a Pen out of his pocket to write your details down, however if he poked you with it, then he may be committing an offence.
There is nothing to fear about the Act, if you have good reason to carry something then, you are within your rights to carry it, be it a knife, Axe, machete or whatever.
(unless it is classed as an illegal item).
Virtually anything can be classed as a weapon, it depends on how you use it.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Virtually anything can be classed as a weapon, it depends on how you use it.
Not quite, if you say when stopped that you carry something for self defence, that item becomes a weapon as well. Also we think however it has yet to be really tested that if you carry something and the manufacturer for example on their website says it is for defence that could mean it is a weapon as well.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Not quite, if you say when stopped that you carry something for self defence, that item becomes a weapon as well. Also we think however it has yet to be really tested that if you carry something and the manufacturer for example on their website says it is for defence that could mean it is a weapon as well.
If you were stupid enough to say you carried something for self defence, you would probably be arrested and charged. ( although it is debatable if this would apply on your own property) anything that was labelled or sold as being for your defence, would probably be illegal , for instance having in your possession Pepper Spray has the same penalties as carrying a gun. doesn't really make any difference what a manufacturer says, it's what the Law deems it to be, and your reason for carrying it, and your demeanour.
To give you an example, about 2 years ago a Spanish woman was arrested at Heathrow Airport, she was a school teacher going home to Spain, her flight was cancelled and she was put on a later flight, she had a few drinks and eventually was deemed to be drunk, and when her flight was ready to go, she was refused entry to it, as she was inebriated, she started getting angry and aggressive, and the Police were called, she was arrested, when her bag was searched, they found in the bag a pair of scissors, she was then also charged with having a offensive weapon, even though I am sure she had no intention of using it to defend herself, this was all down to her demeanour at the time, if the Law want to get you, they will, this is why it's better if you are carrying a knife, etc, to say nothing, keep cool, and be polite.
And also to remember that although these Laws seem stringent and evasive at times, they are there to protect you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE