Knife handle

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Two years ago (seems odd it was that long ago!) I bought one of mr Budds knifes that needs a handle.

I've tried three times to put it into a piece of wood, drilling holes to start, heating the blade up with a blow torch until red hot and plunging into the wood to get a good fit.

On all three occasions, the wood has badly split.

Is it worth me just drilling it and using glue? Or is this a materials issue? Last one I did had been seasoned for two years and I have a piece of wild cherry plum which is a lovely bit of wood so I'd rather it didn't suddenly crack like the last two...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
When you heated the blade up were you careful not to heat the business end at all? I Chain drill holes, file into a slot then glue in place - I do this roughly on the handle but make a much much neater job on the bolster.

A disposable syringe is useful for getting the glue in.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I use glue to.surely if you heat the blade like that you will make it weak if its not quenched properly .im no expert by the way but the blade makers will correct me I'm sure.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I only heat up the end of the tang... Mr Budd was doing the heating round his forge.

Maybe I need to drill bigger holes first?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been trying to do this in a clamp in my workshop. I've not as yet bother to shape the handle because it keeps cracking on me. Is there a recommended glue I can pick up from a DIY shop? I'm hoping to do this tomorrow evening to give me something to shape whilst I'm doing a hog roast on Sat.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've been trying to do this in a clamp in my workshop. I've not as yet bother to shape the handle because it keeps cracking on me. Is there a recommended glue I can pick up from a DIY shop? I'm hoping to do this tomorrow evening to give me something to shape whilst I'm doing a hog roast on Sat.

An expanding glue like gorilla glue may help make the job easier. I've switched over to using it from 2 part epoxy.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been using an expanding waterproof glue in my boat building. I thought Gorilla was US brand?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've not been too successful with burning handles on. I have found it for tweaking the shape of the slot I've made with a couple of awkward handles but on the whole I find that drilling and filing is the way forward. Takes a wee while but worth it in the end.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've not been too successful with burning handles on. I have found it for tweaking the shape of the slot I've made with a couple of awkward handles but on the whole I find that drilling and filing is the way forward. Takes a wee while but worth it in the end.

Well, I may well have a go that way. It's annoying to have wasted three bits of wild wood harvested fro my own trees. On the plus side I can always cut them down and harvest some more...

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well, I may well have a go that way. It's annoying to have wasted three bits of wild wood harvested fro my own trees. On the plus side I can always cut them down and harvest some more...

Are you using a bolster or doing it as one piece?

I've attempted a one piece handle once bfefore and it was really tricky for me.

If you go the bolster route it's easier to file and fit the slot as you can work through the slot rather than it being a blind hole, plus you can remove a majority of the material wider behind so you're actually only making the very front a tight fit. The main handle section behind can then be drilled and filed a lot rougher (and quicker!) with the excess spce being filled with glue.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The tang isn't really thick enough for that - its a stick tang?

Single big hole - filed/sawed into a slot top and bottom. Neat metal/Corian/Wood bolster with a tight slot (chain drilled then filed with needle files). Plenty of glue to fill the hole. The slot should hold the tang in place whilst drying. The bolsters tight fit adds strength

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Ok, well on Friday I pulled a bit of American red oak out of my scraps pile (this being very well seasoned etc) and drilled right through, pushed the tang all the way through, sawed off the end and sanded it down so it was flush. There's a bit of a hole that needs wedging where I cut off the tang (I may pour some glue in just to finish it off). I continued with the heating process on the tip of the tang to get it into the wood.

I'm having trouble getting a nice profile on the wood, I shaped with another knife and am in the process of sanding it with 80 grit. Will work up now to 240 and hopefully finish it off before the moot.

Then maybe I can get in on a leather working workshop and make a simple sheath for it.

I haven't taken a pic as yet, I'll share when I'm close... at least now it looks knife like.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Try looking at THIS

Its worth noting that using pretty much any epoxy will be fine. You should try getting a handle off without damaging any parts before you assume the hole is too big and glue isnt strong enough.

Show us your progress we may be able to help.

To get the shape on the top and bottom of the handle hold the sandpaper like this

Shaping the knife top or bottom by alf.branch, on Flickr

This is the action for the sides

Shaping the knife sides by alf.branch, on Flickr

I also suggest drawing a handle design

Knife designs by alf.branch, on Flickr

Creata the general shape then round it off

Mattson 120 WIP 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The wedge is literally to fill a hole - the blade is very snug and tight - won't move at all. I'm intending to pour a little epoxy down the small hole I've got left, then wedge just for prettiness.

Good tip on the sanding. I may have already profiled it too much though.

That's a lovely looking handle!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE