Knife handle question

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Fibre liners have a couple of purposes. They dampen vibration if chopping/battoning, they prevent any wood coming into contact with the steel as some woods contain corrosives, and they can look nice.

You'll need to pin both the bronze and the scales in place on the blade... but yes... the glue will adhere to both the wood and bronze.

The pins prevent any shock from breaking the glue bond... they stop the handle from moving if hit anywhere.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
just glue it together. the only reason to pin anything in place is if it is ONLY held in place by glue; being a stick tang, the tang itself goes through the guard and so it can't fall off ;)

fibre liners are purely decorative in my opinion. They may have some vibration dampening effect if you insist on hitting your knife, but I'm not sure myself. As for the prevention of these corrosive woods coming into contact, that is true if you don't use any glue at all, but the water will still get in there. Glue on the surfaces of the pieces will create a hermetic seal between the metal and wood ;) Also, the fibre is very slightly porous though not as much as wood of course.

Thin leather works fine as a shock absorbing gasket, it's been used on things like chisels that are struck for many many years.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne: I bash the handles off the farrier's crooked hoof knives and epoxy the blade tangs to
the _surface_ of the PacNW style handles that I make up as a laminate.
I use JBWeld A+B epoxy. Dirty dark gray when mixed. Not a single blade has wiggled and I am not easy on these knives.

SweepsB_zpsnz5szlfj.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE