Knife handle liners - any reason not to ‘double up’?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hello all,

knife makers.
Is there any reason why I can’t ‘stack’ liners on a knife handle? The handle is going to be screwed together and glued but was just wondering if it’s a good idea or not?

I was thinking of 2 different colours then the micarta scales.
Is this a bad idea?

thanks

ed

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Looking at your other thread, make sure the corby bolts will fit with the added depth. You can counterbore further but then the screw heads can sit too low.
Yeah the GITD liner stuff seems to be 3mm so that’s an extra 6mm on top of the 2mm of original liners.
2mm of liners either side would be okay, I have a counterbore of the right size so could make the holes slightly deeper but.....

Will dry fit it all and work it all out. I have some loveless bolts but they are brass and I wanted aluminium with the green micarta, so don’t really want to use them!

ruanks for the heads up though, I think GITD liners are not what I will be doing in the end tbh.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Fiddleback Forge does some interesting stacked liners.

Many experienced makers have gone off using the vulcanised fibre material sold for liners. I would not want that stuff stacked out away from the tang where shaping will expose more of it.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Fiddleback Forge does some interesting stacked liners.

Many experienced makers have gone off using the vulcanised fibre material sold for liners. I would not want that stuff stacked out away from the tang where shaping will expose more of it.

yeah good point, the liners I have here are the plastic stuff, can’t remember what it’s called, the previous knife I handled was the fibre liner stuff though

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yeah, G10 is an epoxy/glass laminate. Doesn't absorb moisture, which is often cited as the problem with the vulcanised fibre material. The main downside to G10 is that if you want red, its kind of dark compared to fibre. G10 makes good handles in its own right, so can be used anywhere in a lamination stack.

G10 was used for black and white spacers here:
DSC01848 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

3mm G10 used for yellow lams with black Micarta here.
Frame Tang by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Same materials used here, but flipped with the G10 on the outside.
Griptilian Scales-JDL by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Now that I think about it, both black and yellow knives also had glow features. The fixed one used a glo-powder mixed with clear epoxy in spots on the handle spine, and a spot each side on the handle, and the folder used a clear back spacer and tritium insert.

I don't think I had any real worries about adding a 3mm liner to the fixed handle. I am pretty sure I added some short shear-pins to increase the bond strength between G10 and Micarta.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE