Knife grinding advice needed..?

W

warnerbot

Hi Guys,

just to introduce myself briefly (newby) my names Nick. I love carpentry and working with green wood, I am into carving (scandi style mostly) and most outdoor pursuits. Mainly I carve things with my Svante Djarv carving knives, but I also spend time in the shop doing little bits of joinery and carpentry making.

Basically I really want to have a go at making a knife, I figured I might start with a culinery knife, as I do a lot of cooking and they tend to avoid complicated bevels (I actually think the geometry of culinery knives is incredibly complex, but I think its an easier start than say, a bushcraft knife)

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to a grinding solution for the initial grinds, I mean once I've taking cut my (rough) blank from the sheet what kind of machine would be good for grinding it to a dead shape, and then for grinding the profile in once its been tempered?

any help would be appreciated guys!

Nick

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you only want to make one or two knives then it's perhaps best to make them by hand with files and something like a typical bench grinder or angle grinder as this will keep expenditure to a minimum. Use the grinders for doing the heavy removal of metal to produce your profile, then the files and wet-n-dry to neaten the profile and to create the bevels.
Make sure to start with the right ingredients ;) A piece or two of 01 tool steel (available from Cromwells as 'Ground flat stock') will make your life a whoe lot easier and it will be steel that you can heat treat. No good making the blade out of any old steel.
As a worker of wood, making the scales for a full tang knife shouldn't pose you too many problems.

You will probably find it much easier to produce a Scandi ground full tang blade than any other type. Kitchen knives tend to be much thinner and far more difficult to make for a beginner.

British Blades Forum might prove to be a very useful resource for information for you. (and also prove to be the ruination of your wallet :) )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE